Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wooden Mushrooms In The Forest!
I have a cute wee hobby that I thought might give our Rogues a giggle!

I live in a small rural village, and there are forest trails and a nature reserve just a short walk away.
Sometimes, I will take a walk into the woods and find a nice piece of wood on the forest floor, and spend a happy few minutes whittling it with my little swiss army knife - usually into the shape of a Mushroom!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2725]

I find it very therapeutic!
And.... best of all... when I've finished carving.... I "release" them back into the wild!!! LOL

After a few days, the colour mutes down to match the natural colour of a mushroom, and they look right at home among the trees there.

The thing is... sometimes... they go missing!

So, I think that someone must like them? and I do have a wee giggle when I picture a little kid or maybe an old lady somewhere with a collection of my old mushroom carvings... thinking that they have been made by elves or faery-folk!!!

What quirky or fun hobbies do you get up to?

Why not share them here in a thread of your own!

BigG

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh... so they're not corks?
I was down to three teeth before I realised the mushrooms weren't real,
so I thought I'd test them out as some type of discarded cork.

Well, my walk is better and I suppose the best thing is just to put them
back. 

:smartass:
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(05-26-2016, 06:02 PM)BIAD Wrote: Oh... so they're not corks?
I was down to three teeth before I realised the mushrooms weren't real,
so I thought I'd test them out as some type of discarded cork.

Well, my walk is better and I suppose the best thing is just to put them
back. 

haha! I hadn't reolised how much that one in the image looks like a champagne cork!
(Probably because I hardly ever have champers??)

I am happy to see them "disappear" because it means that someone else has found and liked them!

Sorry about the teeth.... I shall carve you some new ones, next time I am in the Forest!

:biggrin:
(05-26-2016, 06:30 PM)gordi Wrote: I am happy to see them "disappear" because it means that someone else has found and liked them!

Sorry about the teeth.... I shall carve you some new ones, next time I am in the Forest!

Thank you Gordi. Now... with a pair of pliers in hand, BIAD has returned to his shed and will attempt
make one of them reappear!!

:exhausted:
(05-26-2016, 09:43 PM)BIAD Wrote: Thank you Gordi. Now... with a pair of pliers in hand, BIAD has returned to his shed and will attempt
make one of them reappear!!

:exhausted:

:sick:
Cool stuff...does look like a cork lol .. but nice !!!

Quote:What quirky or fun hobbies do you get up to?

I used to have hobbies...photography (always wanting this new this, this new that, that got expensive), collecting watches (that got even more expensive), I no longer have any hobbies per se.

But I do get creation rushes...I guess you could say it's a hobby. The need to create something, anything but create. Probably why I like writing so much.

Creating this place here was a major high lol ...

Yeah. I'd say my hobby is creating.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
And The Champagne Bottle is Buried?
That's One Hell Of A Big Cork!!!
OH,, That's a Mushroom!  :stumped:  I didn't know  :huh:
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(05-27-2016, 02:00 AM)solarius Wrote: ...Yeah. I'd say my hobby is creating.

<cue heavenly angels>

[Image: 104320.jpg]

uh huh..... Shocked
(06-02-2016, 02:01 PM)gordi Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 02:00 AM)solarius Wrote: ...Yeah. I'd say my hobby is creating.

<cue heavenly angels>

[Image: 104320.jpg]

uh huh..... Shocked

ROFL !!

No no no no no....no God syndrome here on this side : )

More like...bored to hell...let's create something...gets the imagination in better shape than this old farts body, that's for sure..

Shhhh

P.S Come to think of it, that avatar looks like Jesus don't it...hmmm....

Truth is, when I found the pic, it reminded me of when I was young. Yes, I was young once, a long long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The long hair, the beard, the earring, the tattoos...now I look in the mirror and wonder what happened LOL ...

Oh well..
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(06-02-2016, 02:05 PM)solarius Wrote: ...The long hair, the beard, the earring, the tattoos...

Yeah, but that sounds like Sen too?? ROFL

Did I ever tell you, I met Jesus...? It's true and it wasn't on the road to Damascus,
it was on an ash-track to an Industrial Estate!!

I was around seven-years-old and I was waiting for two friends to hopefully return
from over a spiked-fence that was too high for me to climb and return with a jam-jar
containing some newts for me.

I had cut the palm of my hand by failing to climb the pointy six-foot high fencing and
was now sitting in the grass at the side of the path that was covered in crushed clinker
(old molten chunks from nearby closed-down foundries)... and waiting for my older friends.

The flooded areas nearby were bare of sticklebacks and newts, so they suggested that the
fenced-off pond may be a better idea for our goal. Being smaller, I was left behind.
That was when the young priest walked by.

Sitting there nursing my wound, the young man in the dog-collar smiled as he passed me
and then his pace faltered. The Moors Murders in the UK had occurred only four years before
and yet, to a little kid, it was information that you only knew vaguely about.
But still, I was wary of the man standing staring at me.

"Do you know who I am...?" he asked softly and I remember glancing around for a route of
escape. "...I'm Jesus, that's who I am" he added and retaining the grin on his face, he walked
on towards wherever priests and sons of God go to.

Later, I mused on the idea that I should have thrust out my hand and demanded "Well, if you
are... then fix this!" 
But I didn't.
:unsure:
(06-02-2016, 03:35 PM)gordi Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 02:05 PM)solarius Wrote: ...The long hair, the beard, the earring, the tattoos...

All but the beard!!

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(06-03-2016, 02:01 PM)BIAD Wrote: Did I ever tell you, I met Jesus...? It's true and it wasn't on the road to Damascus,
it was on an ash-track to an Industrial Estate!!

I was around seven-years-old and I was waiting for two friends to hopefully return
from over a spiked-fence that was too high for me to climb and return with a jam-jar
containing some newts for me.

I had cut the palm of my hand by failing to climb the pointy six-foot high fencing and
was now sitting in the grass at the side of the path that was covered in crushed clinker
(old molten chunks from nearby closed-down foundries)... and waiting for my older friends.

The flooded areas nearby were bare of sticklebacks and newts, so they suggested that the
fenced-off pond may be a better idea for our goal. Being smaller, I was left behind.
That was when the young priest walked by.

Sitting there nursing my wound, the young man in the dog-collar smiled as he passed me
and then his pace faltered. The Moors Murders in the UK had occurred only four years before
and yet, to a little kid, it was information that you only knew vaguely about.
But still, I was wary of the man standing staring at me.

"Do you know who I am...?" he asked softly and I remember glancing around for a route of
escape. "...I'm Jesus, that's who I am" he added and retaining the grin on his face, he walked
on towards wherever priests and sons of God go to.

Later, I mused on the idea that I should have thrust out my hand and demanded "Well, if you
are... then fix this!" 
But I didn't.
Am I the only one who found that a bit..... creepy?
:huh:
Was your bum ok when you woke up? LOL
(06-04-2016, 03:45 AM)senona Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 03:35 PM)gordi Wrote:

All but the beard!!
NAIR is a wonderful thing!
(Just ask BIAD!)
LOL

JUST KIDDING!!!! (I'm goannie pay for that one aren't I?)

(06-04-2016, 09:26 AM)gordi Wrote: Am I the only one who found that a bit..... creepy?
:huh:
Was your bum ok when you woke up? LOL

It was creepy and years after, I wondered if it had really happened in the way I described.
But it did and the two pals that returned later did look at me strangely when I told them about it.
The priest was around twenty-five, although anyone over eighteen is an adult to a child. He had
black hair and would have been around 5'10 tall.

I didn't see any nail-holes in his hands to verify his claims and there were no gouge-marks around
his forehead. I'm tempted to write that he was floating several inches of the ground, but he wasn't.
:facepalm:
It did happen and I know the question you're wanting to ask is... did my friends get any sticklebacks?
No, the pond was too close to a gypsy-camp and they were frightened of the dogs there.

I have a terrible tale in regards of my 'bum' that involves a germ acquired from playing in a derelict
sewage farm and a large clump of pipes inserted by medical personnel to solve the life-threatening
situation.
That year-long hospital incident was an ordeal to say the least, but I knew that in the future,
any interaction with prison would not hold any fear for me.
:sick:
(06-04-2016, 09:28 AM)gordi Wrote: All but the beard!!
NAIR is a wonderful thing!
(Just ask BIAD!)
LOL

JUST KIDDING!!!! (I'm goannie pay for that one aren't I?)

From what I've gathered, NAIR -or any brand of hair removal is not something Boy In A Dress
is comfortable with. I've only seen it twice, but it seems BIAD uses his long, sharp fingernails
to remove unwanted cilium.
Not dissimilar to your Swiss army knife, BIAD whittles his legs whilst sitting on his shed porch.
It looks a dangerous act at times and watching the Man-Girl's contortions as he shaves his...
solving his problem, I can understand why this action tends to be a private act.
:notlooking:
Remarkably.... the weather in Scotland has been sunny and dry for a couple of weeks now.
This must mean that the end of the world is nigh, so BigG decided that he'd like to get his legs out on display, one last time...

Before settling down to carve and set free his latest mushroom...

He really is a Fungi to be with, once you get to know him!

(I know... I KNOW.... I'll get ma coat....)
G

PS - my last two successful mushroom releases are STILL there in the forest, so my secret mushroom hoarder must have fallen out with me?
or maybe out of their window?

Anyway, there are now 3 BigG mushrooms still on the loose... The captive breeding programme seems to be working!
or the meds? - Yeah, it's probably the meds working.
Well, today has seen the Big fella re-visiting the wooden mushroom release site once more...

First order of the day....
Lunch!

So, out comes the wee "solo stove" which BigG sparks up FIRST TIME with his fire-steel sending a spark onto a petroleum jelly infused cotton wool ball. What a great fire lighter that combo is!

[Image: Mos1_zpsrod6cnkf.jpg]

The Solo Stove is a very clever little one-piece solid fuel stove which uses twigs or solid fuel pellets, or in this case kiln-dried kindling which I'd prepared this morning.
3 minutes after sparking up and I am enjoying a big mug of Beef Broth, with a nice hot coffee to follow.

[Image: Mos2_zps2udni60u.jpg]

And, of course, no trip into these woods would be complete without carving and releasing another wooden mushroom into the wild!

[Image: Mos3_zpsmjfkuyox.jpg]

The mushrooms are definitely still "going missing" (2 of my last 3 have gone) and I even found one which had been "nibbled"!!!!
They must look more real than I thought!!!! (What wood-dwelling creatures (apart from BIAD) eats raw mushrooms?)

I must say, what a BRILLIANT way to spend my Saturday afternoon!
Now totally relaxed, and feeling re-charged.

Nature is a wonderful thing.

G
(07-16-2016, 03:41 PM)gordi Wrote: And, of course, no trip into these woods would be complete without carving and releasing another wooden mushroom into the wild!

Those are not your thighs are they Big G?!!!
tinyhuh
(07-16-2016, 09:52 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 03:41 PM)gordi Wrote: And, of course, no trip into these woods would be complete without carving and releasing another wooden mushroom into the wild!

Those are not your thighs are they Big G?!!!
tinyhuh

My inner thighs are not quite as delicate as those depicted above Phil...