Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jokes From My Time.
There was a reason for creating this thread and it had nothing to do with insulting ethnic minorities,
it was connected to actually insulting today's concept of insulting minorities.

Take the Bernard Manning video, the tradition of northern-English comedians goes back many years
of having the ability to amuse a diverse range of audiences. That ability is to go on stage to entertain,
not entertain a particular class, race of gender of that audience, that would place the comedian into
the challenger position and isolate areas of that group.

That would be career-suicide for anyone in show business and is basic 101 common sense.
No, the trick is to hit everyone with -hopefully, amusing slants of who we are and how we interact
in the diverse world we live in.

Bernard Manning was an entertainer, he knew his material was to amuse everyone in the room and
by singling-out individuals from many walks of life, create a whole group that would see that difference
was a universal reality that we've overcome to be a unified society.

Now... let's change the accent of Wallfire's 'Dalek' video. Do you think the humour would work if Spike
Milligan had used a posh English accent for the Dalek's voice? No, because of the audience watching it.

If the same footage -with a posh English voice and mannerisms was broadcast in Pakistan and the audience
there found it amusing, would that make them racists...? No again.

The humour would derive from the differences in the two groups and yet they would be bound together
in their mirth. And we're back to what Bernard Manning was doing.

Like I've said many times, this constant divisive outrage isn't about race or even religion , it's about Class.

I love the use of the verb 'Experts' in newspapers, a mysterious group of humans who's words are beyond reproach!
In this ridiculous article, these 'Experts' -or sensible folk like you and me, are merely baffled, not amused that an alleged 
place of learning has behaved like a pack of mongos.

It shows how people who swim in the dark pool of identity-politics eventually drink the stuff that surrounds them and
become the racist they abhore. They begin to see men with pillow-cases on their heads, everywhere.

Quote:SEE NO EVIL University of York pulls three wise monkeys from their website over ‘racist stereotype’ fears

'The University of York has pulled an image of the three wise monkeys from its website - over fears the creatures are
a "racist stereotype". Woke academics issued a grovelling apology over the use of the image, vowing to "be accountable
for our actions".

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8989]
Some wooden effigy and a more stiffer figure of silliness, York University.

But experts have been left baffled by the decision - and say they have "no idea" why the picture was deemed controversial.
The image of the monkeys - known worldwide for centuries to mean seeing, hearing and speaking no evil - was pulled ahead
of an art history conference, The Times reports.

Organisers say the poster promotes a "longstanding visual history of oppression and exploits racist stereotypes".
In a statement, they said: "We bring this to your attention, so that we may be held accountable for our actions and, in our privileges,
do and be better.”

The image, associated with Buddhism, first became popular in Japan in the 17th century before spreading to the west and,
traditionally, the creatures are seen as helpers for divine figures. Tim Clark, who retired as curator of the British Museum’s
Japanese collections in 2019, told the paper he had “no idea” why the monkeys would have been an issue.

Meanwhile, Lord Moore of Etchingham, former editor of The Daily Telegraph, slammed the decision in his column for the Spectator
magazine. He said: "One of the difficulties about being woke is that you develop a sort of hypersensitivity to particular phrases and
images, which ultimately makes it almost impossible to say or do anything because you are concerned that someone may take
offence." He said organisers have "inflicted upon themselves a show trial in which they do a stammering confession".

Meanwhile, Dr Lucia Dolce, who has been studying Japanese Buddhism at the School of Oriental and African Studies for 20 years,
told the paper the monkeys are seen in a positive way in Japanese culture. Asked if the image could be controversial, she said:
“That would be wrong because the monkey is a sacred being."

A spokeswoman for the University of York said that the organisers of the online conference - Sensorial Fixations: Orality, Aurality,
Opticality and Hapticity - were worried about accidentally insulting people.

“The Japanese symbol of the three wise monkeys was used to represent a postgraduate conference about the sensory experiences
of the body," she said. "It also appeared on a document that asked for submission of research papers to the conference on a range
of areas, one of which included papers that represented black, indigenous and people of colour.

“It was considered that a monkey, which has been used in a derogatory way in the past, could cause offence in this context, despite
this not being the intention of the organisers, so the image was removed.”

In 2007, four members of union Unison used the image to hit out at leaders who they claimed were ignoring their criticisms.
But the leaders said the image was intended as a racial slur against one of them, who was black.
In 2013, an employment tribunal awarded the members £49,000 after ruling no reasonable person could interpret the use
of the image as a racist slur...'
The Sun:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
Jokes From My Time. - by BIAD - 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by F2d5thCav - 01-22-2021, 05:37 PM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by Wallfire - 01-22-2021, 06:11 PM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by BIAD - 01-22-2021, 07:32 PM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by PLOTUS - 01-25-2021, 03:27 PM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by Wallfire - 01-22-2021, 08:24 PM
RE: Jokes From My Time. - by BIAD - 01-23-2021, 10:20 AM