Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Germany is beginning a universal-basic-income trial with people getting $1,400 a mont
(08-20-2020, 02:48 AM)ChiefD Wrote: This is pretty interesting. The fact that there are only 120 people is kind of telling. I don’t think they want to get anyone’s hopes up or anything. 

Even as liberal as I am, I don’t see a universal basic income as something that would work, at least not in the United States. How would it be paid for? With people getting that, many would choose not to work at all and we would have critical shortages in workers. 

I mean, outwardly it sounds wonderful, but I think that would make our country’s problems worse. The money will have to come from somewhere, something essential that will cripple a lot of the country.

At least they are keeping the experiment small for now. The only way I can see a UBI working in literally ANY country is if that country had a major national income. There have been several UBI experiments but no countries have a guaranteed national UBI for all- the only nations that have for a short period of time were Mongolia and Iran but they no longer have it.

The only way to pay for a UBI is to tax the Hell out of those who actually stay working to pay for those who don't, so what is the incentive here? If the govt takes half of your pay in taxes many would end up making the same or even less than those who are not working so why wouldn't any sane person choose to get paid for staying home? 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germany is beginning a universal-basic-income trial with people getting $1,400 a mont - by GeauxHomeLittleD - 08-20-2020, 04:20 AM