Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit: UK votes to leave EU in historic referendum
I must admit to being perplexed by all the hoopla surrounding this event. From an outsider's perspective, standing in the rain peeping in a window, it has the appearance of a ticked off population demanding their sovereignty and self determination back from a group of thugs, and in response a bunch of butt-hurt banksters want to wreck a few economies to teach the peasants a lesson, and a few koenigs and uber-fuhrers want to whip the same back into the ranks.

I've seen butt-hurt Germans across the internets trying to foment counter-rebellion in the British Isles - which indicates to me that the Germans hold the biggest bag of power in the EU, which is now, apparently, threatened. I personally don't think it's a good idea to give Germans too much sway in Europe, but that's just me. It didn't work out all that well the last couple times they tried that.

The biggest puzzle to me is Scotland. All my life I've heard tales of "freedom loving Scotsmen" who fought to maintain control of their own lives, from before Culloden, before even Wallace. That's partly why I even exist - some of those rowdy Scotsmen from the lowlands got in a tussle with England and got deported to northern Ireland for their troubles, eventually coming all the way across the pond and heading deeper into the woods to get away from royal control... and I'm one of the end results of that.

Now I hear that Scotland is all about throwing off one historical master for another, and I have to wonder where that zest for liberty has gone. I fail to understand why Scotland would leave the UK and cling to EU masters. There's just something there that obviously I'm not getting, some thought in the UK that I'm either not hearing or failing to grasp. Angela Merkel is an idiot on wheels - who really wants to live under her benevolent dictatorship (other than Syrian "refugees", that is)? Someone really needs to explain the insider view to me so I can understand what the thought process is.

One thing I feel is sure is that any time one attempts to break away from Masters, there is almost always hell to pay. we've attempted it twice here, and it got ugly both times. First time we won, second time they pounded us into bug dust, and then rubbed our noses in the dust for decades after - still happening, really, whenever they can get a smack in that they think won't be noticed... and that's over 150 years after the fact, and counting. When Masters start getting their power consolidated, they get a bit peevish about those they hold power over just walking away peacefully. It rarely ever happens. One day you declare independence, and the next men with guns are hiding in the trees to try and put the kybosh on that notion and attempt to drag you kicking and screaming back into the sheep fold.

We've been through that crap so much that we write songs about it so that the kids don't forget:

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brexit: UK votes to leave EU in historic referendum - by Ninurta - 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: Brexit: UK votes to leave EU in historic referendum - by 1984hasarrived - 10-14-2016, 12:27 PM