Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University Students Comforted with ‘Counseling’ after Seeing Confederate Flag on Lapt
Point in case about how people are acting differently towards the rebel flag, their actions absurd to the point of being childish and ignorant

UW-L discusses 'fear and angst' over Confederate flag...on a semi truck, not a student's truck

Quote:A Confederate flag on University of Wisconsin-La Crosse grounds has stirred up debate between advocates of free speech and proponents of inclusivity after a campus official apologized for the “fear and angst” caused by the banner.

The controversy arose after Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Paula Knudson received complaints, both in the form of phone calls and official “hate and bias” reports, about the flag’s presence on the grille cover of a semi-tractor parked on the student center construction site.

“It was numerous. Calls started coming, people started coming in, and other offices started calling in,” Knudson said Wednesday.

The message she received was “essentially, this is hurtful,” Knudson said, and called the university to action.

Among those who filed reports was physics senior Matthew Dreis, who saw the flag on his way to class Friday morning. Dreis was disappointed to see what he considers hate speech displayed in the heart of campus.

“I was let down. I really hoped we were beyond that in 2015,” Dreis said.

While Dreis understands the display is protected by the First Amendment, he said displaying the flag shows bad taste and indicates a larger problem on campus.

“That’s very inappropriate. I think we have problems with institutionalized racism at our school and when we see it at the construction site of the physical building where students are getting their education it solidifies that there’s a problem with our campus atmosphere,” Dreis said.

So now here we have some students forcing their will on someone who does not even go to school there but is there working on a construction site.
In other words, their rights trump the rights of the truck driver, even tho they claim freedom of expression 

Quote:Knudson asked UW-L Executive Director of Facilities Douglas Pearson to speak to the construction site superintendent, who asked the driver of the truck to remove it. The driver complied without complaint.

So the school went to the site's Superintendent to tell the trucker to remove the flag from the grill of his truck 
They said the guy "complied" which I'm sure he did, being as he needs a paycheck 

[Image: 9p4nq3M.png]

In an email sent to students Friday afternoon, Knudson apologized for “the fear and angst caused by (the flag’s) presence” and explained that the flag had been removed.

Fear and angst....think the only angst that was caused was by you guys acting hysterically and making the guy remove it
If I were him, I would be pissed and annoyed

If people are that weak minded to let something like that cause "fear", well I just don't know
These so-called "Safe Zones" are not available in the real world   

Quote:Senior Zachary Allen, who said he doesn't support the flag, began organizing a demonstration supporting freedom of speech after he said it sounded like it had been forcibly removed.

While Allen agrees the flag sends a poor message, he doesn’t feel it’s the university’s role to force its removal on campus.

“Nope, I don’t support the Confederate flag … I don’t agree with its use, but they still have every right under the law to do so,” Allen said.

Damn straight they have every right to fly the rebel flag
 Being as it is their right, just like you all have your rights

But your rights do not trump those of others, you all need to remember that kiddies
No matter how offended you pretend to be about something

Messages In This Thread
RE: University Students Comforted with ‘Counseling’ after Seeing Confederate Flag on Lapt - by senona - 05-23-2016, 03:56 AM