Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Germany is beginning a universal-basic-income trial with people getting $1,400 a mont
(08-22-2020, 12:35 PM)Wallfire Wrote: this was tried by the Finnish government on a larger scale a few years ago. It did not work, the problems were that people on low wages disliked the fact that people were getting free money, so a why should I work feeling was gaining speed. For it to work everyone must get it, then the country is back where it started. The other factor was that some government groups demanded that all "refugees" get it, and that would of meant that they would be getting as much as many people who worked all there lives are getting in the lower pension scale

The problem is the same as I have with renters. If it doesn't belong to them they aren't invested in it, and feel no responsibility for maintaining it.

The only way this will work is that everyone receiving a check has to have some skin in the game. They have to contribute something. There is something everyone can do. Caring for those too old or too sick is one way. Keeping the environment clean and clutter free. Every home has something that needs tidying or sprucing up. 

The trick is that it will have to be managed on a local scale and our society is not conditioned to be lead by Andy Griffith. Put in someone of the Stanford school and it will go south quickly.

We have spent several generations teaching our young that the whole world revolves around them, that they don't have to be responsible for their actions, and they are entitled to something for nothing, so it is going to take a lot more than hitting a reset button to make this work.

Hunger is a good motivator but it is also a good teacher, just not a generous or loving one.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germany is beginning a universal-basic-income trial with people getting $1,400 a mont - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 08-22-2020, 02:04 PM