Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another SSP Whistle-blower Comes Forward
The grandfather paradox is a mental exercise in impossibility, but it does serve to show why events in a timeline cannot be changed. Clearly, all of the present and future depend upon events of the past (equally true, but not as clear, is that the fact that the past also depends on events of the present and future). It's an attempt to explain the nature of space-time without having a clear understanding of that nature. It's an attempt to explain that nature from within the experiential framework of the perception of physically "passing through time", rather than from the realization that "time" passes through us instead.

What "will be" will actually "not be" if it is prevented from being, therefore it never was. That is the gist of the grandfather paradox, and it is also why one cannot be temporally "regressed" back to a point where he or she never left from and have that leaving never occur - if it never occurred, it never happened, so that memories of it having happened are false memories - how can one recall something that never happened (or is not going to happen)? We call that "hallucination".

Your watch is a physical artifact, so if time passed through it, then time passed everywhere during that interval. The "two minutes", on the other hand, are subjective to you, rather than objective to the universe. Subjective vs. objective is the basis for the saying "time flies when you're having fun" - it's your subjective perception of the passage of time rather than the passage of time itself, objectively, that is affected. You, as a physical being, must have experieicned the passage of the same amount of time as your watch, as a physical artifact. Any "gaps" in that time in your recall necessarily indicates time you can't remember, rather than time that never passed.

I'm an example of that. I have gaps in my memory, times that I cannot recall. That doesn't mean time never passed, only that I can't recall it. the result of that, for me, is that at times I have flashes of memories of events that "never happened" - not that they objectively never happened, but that I have no conscious recall of those events except those fleeting flashes of "memory".

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another SSP Whistle-blower Comes Forward - by Ninurta - 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM