Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A COUP in Turkey?!
Holy what in the....

I'm floored right now, here's a link:

COUP

Overthrow the government to restore democracy. Not a "coup", it's a mutiny. In the midst of this boiling pot in the ME, now we throw this into the mix.

It's a fast moving story, I'll update as I can.

President says no?!
Erdogan is now asking people to rise up and fight.

What a mess...

TAKE TO THE STREETS!
(07-15-2016, 11:00 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: Holy what in the....

I'm floored right now, here's a link:

COUP

Overthrow the government to restore democracy. Not a "coup", it's a mutiny. In the midst of this boiling pot in the ME, now we throw this into the mix.

It's a fast moving story, I'll update as I can.

President says no?!
I couldn't Agree With You More!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Here's a live stream from MSN, I'm watching 3 of them trying to see which is the least bad to watch:

Live COUP coverage

I can't find a video (not sure if I want to) but they are saying that cameras are catching people taking on tanks. People vs. tanks. CBS is saying they are gory pictures and can't show them yet, but witnesses say the tanks are running over people? WTF?!
Quote:Soldiers took control of TRT state television, which announced a countrywide curfew and martial law. An announcer read a statement on the orders of the military that accused the government of eroding the democratic and secular rule of law. The country would be run by a "peace council" that would ensure the safety of the population, the statement said.

TRT later went off the air.

(Above quote is from your Link.)

Hmmm... that sounds like something Drake was talking about.  I wonder if this is his group starting the beginning stages of this "take over"?

Times are getting very interesting!   tinybighuh
This is going to be a long night in Turkey I think.

A democratically elected official who started to crack down on the media and "western style" freedoms in Turkey is now being thrown to the curb (potentially). I will not turn this into a potential POTUS thread, but it seems the people of Turkey have had enough.

Crackdown

He's not exactly known to be kind to dissent. How are Turkey's Libel laws by the way? tinylaughing
I hate to say it, but being known for not shutting my mouth I will:

If this coup fails, the Turkish president who is already known for being a very staunch Islamist may lay down the iron fist on that country. This could get very bad. I'm not taking sides, but if I was him I would use this as a reason to lock the country down (media, dissent, ANYTHING) and start hanging people left and right.

I'm not him people, don't worry.

But the rumours of him playing his part for ISIS (playing both sides but letting them slip by when needed) will only turn into dark and deathly realities if he makes it through this unscathed.

Just my $.02

My .015 pounds

My .018 euros
My instincts tell me this has to do with Drake's plans.  If so, people need to get stocked up on food, if you haven't already. 
For more insights on what I'm talking about read my thread: LINK
There are reports that the Turkish Military is opening fire on people trying to cross the bridge. What side, who's fault, who knows. But wow tinycrying

Shots fired

"the police seem to be opposed to what's going on here" So says MSNBC. "They are actively trying to detain members of the military"
I or my husband heard from a friend in the agency that this was about the Military worried that Turkey was shifting To A Radical Muslim Form Of Government.
That the Military felt they needed to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms that have been lost.
I'm not sure what they where talking about, But My Husband was concerned, he has some old Cold War Contacts in Turkey and he was worried about them.
(07-15-2016, 11:56 PM)guohua Wrote: I or my husband heard from a friend in the agency that this was about the Military worried that Turkey was shifting To A Radical Muslim Form Of Government.
That the Military felt they needed to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms that have been lost.
I'm not sure what they where talking about, But My Husband was concerned, he has some old Cold War Contacts in Turkey and he was worried about them.

I hope they make it out OK. That region has always been a "cross-roads", for centuries now. But especially during the cold war and I know it can get ugly very quick. We are seeing that right now.

I think you are 100% right on the reasoning, I just don't know how it's going to ultimately end up. I think the "Sane heads prevail" could very well turn into "sane heads rolling off of the gallows" if this doesn't work.

But shooting people on a bridge? This is a very big stopper in any support for any side.
State run news is now reporting nearly 20 police officers have already been killed trying to suppress the coup:

Police Officers Killed

My apologies, stories are very fast moving and changing.

ETA: One of the live feeds is reporting a Bomb has detonated at the Turkish Parliament. Will keep an eye on the actual news, things are very fluid at the moment.
Getting reports on CNN now that a Turkish fighter jet just shot down a Helicopter full of Coup supporters.

CNN doesn't just have videos anymore though, everything is through CNNGO and makes you sign into your cable provider? WTF?!

So no link, sorry. Ok, scratch that, i'll send the link but be prepared to be directed to sign in? I'm confused now.

Updates
A country divided.

Ankara appears to be under control of the Coup faction while Istanbul is CLEARLY ready to welcome back Ergodan. What a mess.

People on Twitter are reporting that state media journalists are tweeting with the #failedcoup

Ankara is a different story. What could end up being the saddest story of the year.
Reports are the President has left the country by private jet. Also the Military is saying they have taken over the government .. Sorry this link is in German.http://www.tagesschau.de/eilmeldung/eilm...-1463.html

http://news.sky.com/story/turkish-milita...y-10503039

Quote:The Turkish military claims to have "fully seized control" of the country amid reports of aerial attacks, explosions and gunfire.
Soldiers stormed Turkey's state broadcaster TRT, forcing a presenter to read a statement live on air, announcing that a military coup is under way.

The statement said the country, a NATO member, is now being run by a "peace council". It declared that martial law and a nationwide curfew are in place.

I have wondered how much longer the USA or Russia would put up with Erdogan and his Islamic B.S.

Live Feed: http://news.sky.com/watch-live

Also I think for either side it is to early to declare a winner in this whole affair. I actually hope the military comes out on top.. I do not like the little hitler wanna be Erdogan

I don't have a link but the word on the street is Ergodan is landing in Istanbul soon and the National Intelligence of Turkey is saying the Coup has failed.

I'll try to find a link that isn't live. Something that actually says that...
Quote:Update 21: it appears that the coup - poorly executed from the beginning with tank and helicopter support but no infantry - is effectively over. Moments ago anadolu reported that Turkish state TV resumes normal broadcast; The army member soldiers attempting TRT seizure taken into custody. Additionally the Turkish PM has told local media the situation in Turkey is "largely under control" after military attempt to bring down government.

Hmmm....   don't known if Drake was a part of this, or not.  Parts of it sounded like he could be, but certain things didn't happen at the same time as this, so I don't know. 

Looks like it's over... for now.

Source Link
I really don't want to makes this a political thread, But Obama Makes Me Sick!
[quote pid='4214' dateline='1468633033']
guohuaI really don't want to makes this a political thread, But Obama Makes Me Sick!

[/quote]

I don't either. But can you imagine the American version of Ergodan? Media doesn't like me? Shut 'em down. Religious testing will make welfare drug testing look like batting practice by the time Hillary's plant gets through with it (and yes, I stand by that 150%. He's the worlds most popular trojan horse...)
Trump 2016... tinysure tinyshouting minusculebonker
Looks like the coup has failed... It would not be a good time for those in the country who opposed the present leadership !