Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Man from Mars
Just a weird case I stumbled across.

[Image: ujonYSF.jpg]

Photo source: University of Southern California

Quote:The Man from Mars - Forest Ray Colson

One of the most unusual crime sprees to occur in San Gabriel was perpetrated by none other than the "Man From Mars." The bandit was dubbed the "Man From Mars" because of the bizarre attire he wore while terrorizing supermarkets in the western San Gabriel Valley. The notorious bandit, later identified as 27 year old Forest Ray Colson, was described as a commuter bandit because he made it a habit to return to his parents' home in Oklahoma City, Okla., between robberies. Colson disguised his identity during the holdups by wearing a leather football helmet, goggles, gas mask, hood, and tight-fitting black clothes with boots resembling a motorcycle officer's uniform.

The "Mars" bandit staged five successful holdups of supermarkets in a period of six months netting more than $55,000.00 before his luck ran out on Thursday evening, October 12, 1951. Armed with a 12 gauge shotgun and a pair of 38-caliber revolvers on his hips, Colson entered the Boy's Market at 120 East Valley Blvd. and forced the cashier to turn over the evenings receipts, totaling $13,675.00. Before he could escape with his loot, however, Officer Harry Stone and his partner E.F. Nelson arrived on scene. The officers were just a block away when the call for "all available units" came out over their radio.

Soon after entering the store, Officer Stone noticed the bandit, dressed in his usual attire, stepping out of the cashier's office, a mere 54 feet away. As the two faced each other for a moment, the bandit appeared to lose his courage and made a last ditch effort to duck back into the office. Officer Stone reacted without hesitation and fired one shot with his 38-caliber revolver, striking the bandit once in the left side of his head. The bandit, who fell instantly to the ground, was still clutching his shotgun in one hand and the bag of cash in the other hand. Forrest Ray Colson, aka, the "Man From Mars" died two hours later at the jail ward of Los Angeles County General Hospital.

The original outfit worn by "The Man From Mars" at the time of his capture is on permanent display at the San Gabriel Police Department facility.

[Image: Na8fdUW.jpg]

[Image: aXh8tVA.jpg]

Quote:Forrest Ray Colson was a thin, pallid, blond boy. His hands were soft and white, and he wore gloves whenever possible. But for all this he wanted to be a "big hero" and have lots of girls. At 16 he left high school in Hollywood and joined the Marine Corps. He served six unrewarding years, from 1941 to 1947. He saw no action, won no medals.

Discharged, he joined the Monterey Park (Calif.) police force as a rookie. His neat uniform, pistol and dark gloves had the desired effect on females; he came to work with a girl on each arm, stole off with women when on patrol duty—and was dropped from the force. He got another job as a rookie cop on the police force of nearby Glendora. After two months the chief called him in and fired him. The reason: women. Colson picked up his pistol, put it to his head and said, "I bet you don't think I got guts enough to pull the trigger. You wanta dare me?" The chief talked him out of it.

Colson went to Oklahoma City and moved in with his mother. The 26-year-old ex-hero seemed to have plenty of money saved; he bought a maroon and black Ford, and took occasional trips back to California, where he dropped in at the Monterey Park police station to ask for a fresh chance to become a cop.

CALIFORNIA: Death of a Man from Mars

[Image: S7ybLHF.jpg]
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

A bit worrying... the first thing I thought of when I saw one of the images was 'Quatermass II'!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11779]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Alright. That is one weird dude. 

Although, a head shot from 50-60 feet away with a .38 revolver is pretty good. 

Live by the sword and all that.
(08-30-2022, 09:08 PM)BIAD Wrote: A bit worrying... the first thing I thought of when I saw one of the images was 'Quatermass II'!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11779]

Ok, I had to look that one up. Ha, how about that!

As of now, Vera Day (Sheila the barmaid) is the last surviving cast member of this film.

Wow, it's available on Blu-ray.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.