Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
To Each His Own
I grew up many years ago, in a tiny  backwoods town. It was home. I didn't know anything else, so it was as I expected, the same in any other place.

I never thought of any of it as being odd or off kilter, except for the one case we had of a father impregnating his daughter, and that was a whole other story.

We had several homosexual members of the community. Three male and two female, as far as I knew. It was still a time of what went on behind closed doors was nobody's business, so there could have been more. If there were, it was no big deal in our tiny community.

We all knew they were homosexuals, and I don't ever remember there being a problem. They were accepted members of the community, and were always included in the activities. So it was normal in my childhood eyes.

Now looking back I realize that I have nothing to go by except for how the activities and experiences of my youth, impacted me. What was normal just was.

It was all normal, including the "White Only" signs plastered over the doors of some of the establishments. White and Colored signs over water fountains, other items and doors, directing us to our place. Where we stood in the grand scheme of things.

It was accepted as normal. I gave it little to no thought as a child, even though I had colored friends, white friends, and with a Navy base not far away, friends from many a far land.

Now to be fair, the immediate area were I lived, was the outskirts. We had one tiny general store and one single gas pump. The bigger stores and a movie house was a good 30 miles away, and a place we did not visit very often. But we still looked forward to going to town.

The town was about two city blocks wide. Coloreds were welcome to shop, but they could not try on any clothes before buying them, they could not sit at the counter, but they were welcome in the booths. And they could go to the movie house, in fact the were invited, but they had to enter from the side and sit in the balcony.

None of this seemed odd to me. I was a child and I didn't think anything of it. Mainly because, I guess, it was just part of the oddness of being in the town in the first place. A place that was thought of as different to start with. So just the excitement of visiting there was enough to make all the oddities and quirks add to the weirdest and magic.

So that is why I think many of our young children are being caught into the snare of accepting the model oddity of the day.

They are drawn to the novelty and the excitement of anything they are not used to. Their imagination is stirred by the titillation of being different, but with the societal acceptance and approval of the oddity.

The more wrong they think the something is, that is being celebrated and encouraged, the more appealing it is.

So I am hoping that our youth will either grow up and realize that they are not defined by the fad or the trend of the week, or their eyes will be opened and they will recognize the sales pitch of the snake oil salesman, for what it is. A lie to steal your money or your soul.

I wonder if Brad did this for the money, or for a brief minute longer in the light that he knows is fading beyond the hills.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/brad-p...index.html

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

It's just kids playing with the phone, a juvenile habit that adapts to what ever technology comes along.
One day, it was standing in a public telephone booth as the night comes down, inserting a coin into the
slot and whispering rude words to a stranger for the sh*ts-and-giggles of one's friends waiting outside.

Now it's poncy ten-word outrages on Twitter about how this world doesn't align with their Unicorn-Land.
Half of them don't mean it, half of them just do it for the fun of having their name on a computer screen.

The minority who display these poorly-acted performances are currently enjoying a slight notoriety because
Journalists haven't the skills to be Journalists anymore, it's easy copy.

Just kids playing with the phone.
tinywondering

INMHO.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.