Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Hard Work Is Paying Off
When we decided to plant a garden several years ago, we were disappointed to find our soil was just too hard and rocky. We picked a spot anyway, broke up the soil and carted away several loads of rocks. It was a lot of work and had to be repeated each year. Of course everything we planted struggled to grow but we  have never been ones to give up. 

When we acquired a horse and two donkeys a thought entered my husband’s brain, so when we’d clean their barn we started adding that to the ground in hopes that it would help matters. 

The first couple of years there wasn’t much difference. I hated going out there and even looking at it because it just seemed like a wasted effort to plant so much stuff and get so little. It was always too dry no matter how much I watered and the plants never looked healthy. 

This year I decided we’d try something different. When we added several loads of out of the poop pile that we had added too all winter I thought instead of spreading it and tilling it in we should rake it in long mounds. Maybe the roots could spread out more and it would actually hold more water. 

It seems that has done the trick. I actually enjoy working in the garden now. It can probably be improved more but to me it’s almost perfect.

This is from a few days ago when everything was started to produce. We like to trellis all the vining stuff because it saves room.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11561]

This one is what I came out to today. I’ve never had so many beans! I think I might have enough to try to can some which is what I plan to work on as soon as I’m done here. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11562]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11564]

Now comes the fun part. I guess I’m gonna be busy for a little while lol.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's amazing what a little manure can do!

We are heavily clay here, but over the years, we've added the chicken poop over the winter, and hubby rototills like crazy.

We have great soil, and I have a pretty big garden.

I don't care for beans, but yours look amazing!  Nice job!
(06-24-2022, 04:00 PM)VioletDove Wrote: When we decided to plant a garden several years ago, we were disappointed to find our soil was just too hard and rocky. We picked a spot anyway, broke up the soil and carted away several loads of rocks. It was a lot of work and had to be repeated each year. Of course everything we planted struggled to grow but we  have never been ones to give up. 

When we acquired a horse and two donkeys a thought entered my husband’s brain, so when we’d clean their barn we started adding that to the ground in hopes that it would help matters. 

The first couple of years there wasn’t much difference. I hated going out there and even looking at it because it just seemed like a wasted effort to plant so much stuff and get so little. It was always too dry no matter how much I watered and the plants never looked healthy. 

This year I decided we’d try something different. When we added several loads of out of the poop pile that we had added too all winter I thought instead of spreading it and tilling it in we should rake it in long mounds. Maybe the roots could spread out more and it would actually hold more water. 

It seems that has done the trick. I actually enjoy working in the garden now. It can probably be improved more but to me it’s almost perfect.

This is from a few days ago when everything was started to produce. We like to trellis all the vining stuff because it saves room.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11561]

This one is what I came out to today. I’ve never had so many beans! I think I might have enough to try to can some which is what I plan to work on as soon as I’m done here. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11562]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11564]

Now comes the fun part. I guess I’m gonna be busy for a little while lol.

Looking good!

Great work.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Persistence pays off! Beautiful garden!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Thanks.

It really makes a difference when the plants look healthy. I never liked working in the garden but now I try to spend all the time I can there because it is so pretty.

@"Chiefsmom" I love beans. What I don’t care for that much is black eyed peas. My husband loves them though so he planted 2 rows. Those will be ready to pick soon and it looks like there is going to be a lot. My fingers are already hurting in anticipation of shelling them all.
What a beautiful garden! So many beans too! My hubby would be salivating on the beans. I like beans, but not as much as he does. Manure sure makes a great fertilizer. Looks like it was just the spark needed to get things going in your garden. You'll have a wonderful harvest with this. Thanks for sharing.  GiantThumbsUp
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(06-24-2022, 10:18 PM)ChiefD Wrote: What a beautiful garden! So many beans too! My hubby would be salivating on the beans. I like beans, but not as much as he does. Manure sure makes a great fertilizer. Looks like it was just the spark needed to get things going in your garden. You'll have a wonderful harvest with this. Thanks for sharing.  GiantThumbsUp

Yes, the manure seemed to be exactly what it needed. The girls sure come in handy. They walk around the place, keep the grass trimmed and make good fertilizer for the garden. 

I am disappointed in my squash though. I was hoping I’d get a good crop this year. It started out beautiful but it got too hot and most of my plants have sadly wilted. Everything else is doing is doing great though. I guess the other vegetables don’t mind the hot weather.
I am simply envious!
tinybiggrin
Well done Violet Dove!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Nice garden. My father taught us kids how to garden when we were wee little people. I still have nightmares about having to hand weed the rows of beans,corn, carrots radishes, basically the whole gambit of edibles. It is good knowledge to have.

minusculegoodjob
WHAT THE HELL !!