Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Case Of The Ageist Aliens.
The Case Of The Ageist Aliens.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5784]

Just around forty-two miles South-East of London, resides the famous military town of Aldershot.
Known once as 'The Home Of The British Army', Aldershot still has a garrison there -albeit not the formidable base it was before
the Cold War ended.

One of its boroughs is North Town, a small collection of streets that sits between the A331 motorway and the Basingstoke canal.
Back in 1983, there was a man who was also sitting near that artificial river, an elderly chap named Alfred Burtoo.

Alfred Burtoo was a fisherman and enjoyed his solitary hobby of soaking in the quiet hours through the night beside the canal,
patting his trusty dog -Tiny and waiting for the float to tell him that the fish were night-owls too. At seventy-seven years of age,
Mr. Burtoo was accepting the pastime for serving in two World Wars as a payment for loyalty and patriotism.
He'd done his stint for Queen and Country and now his only foe were the fish.

12th August 1983.
Alfred Burtoo's preferred fishing spot was just down from the Gasworks Bridge which spanned the Basingstoke canal and allowed
Government Road to continue it way to meet with the busy motorway to the east. As the warm summer evening ticked by, Alfred
made his way towards the bridge and encountered a Ministry of Defence policeman who was on his nightly patrol.

After an amiable chat with the Officer, the old man and his dog turned left and walked down the towpath to where his scaly-quarry
waited. Tiny's leash was fastened to the stem of Alfred's fishing umbrella, well-worn tackle was utilised and with a private satisfaction,
Mr. Burtoo swung his fishing rod towards the dark waters of the canal with the hope that all fishermen held.
The night moved on without incident.

Around fifteen minutes after the military gong at the nearby Buller Barracks announced that it was 1.00.am, Alfred treated himself
a cup of tea from his thermos flask and it was then when the relaxed old gent noticed a bright glow in the sky approaching fro
North Town.

The indistinct illumination seemed to have an inner substance and as it drifted over the main railway line that led towards London,
the hot brew was forgotten when the light just blinked out. However, aiming towards the embankment on the other side of the
Gasworks Bridge, the glowing object reappeared and landed in the foliage on the other side of Government Road.

Lighting a cigarette and calming his wary dog, Alfred watched the bush-covered area and was sure he could hear a whining noise,
similar to an electric generator -he'd said later. The glow had gone, but the old man could glimpse separate lights through the boughs
of the trees on the other side of the road.

Even though it was a dark night, Mr Burtoo could just make out a couple of tiny figures coming towards him along the towpath.
Trying to stay calm and collected, he told the dog to shut up and stop growling. Being obedient, Tiny settled down beside his master.
The world had changed in so many ways for Alfred and in 1983. However, the hot summer could easily be the reason why two strangers
could be walking in the cool of the night.
Still, with the Irish Liberation Army still up to no good and Aldershot being a British Army Base, Alfred was as cautious as his faithful pet.

The two figures came closer and stopping around five feet from the watchful fisherman, Mr. Burtoo realised that they were only about
four feet tall. "They just stopped and looked at me and I did the same” Alfred said later and examined their attire.
From head to foot they where wearing light green coveralls which looked to be made “like plastic”, although Alfred could not see any
buttons or other fasteners. The two figures also wore helmets of the same colour with black visors so you couldn’t see the faces.

Here's where my inner-pragmatism kicked in.

Mr Burtoo said that one of the beings beckoned to him with his right forearm, then turned, still waving his arm.
If we assume that these two strangers were aliens from another world and by chance, have two arms, two legs and a head that
needs protecting with a helmet -another earthly article, gesturing with one's arm to indicate following is a human act.
How did 'they' learn this?

Alfred followed behind the one who indicated and the other 'being' followed, with the three forming a single line.
“We walked along the towpath till we reached the railings by the canal bridge” the old man is quoted to have said.

Alfred also reported that the being in front simply went through the railings like a ghost; while Mr. Burtoo climbed over the top,
then this odd trio crossed Government Road and back down onto the canal  footpath. Going around a slight left hand bend,
Mr Burtoo saw what had caused the earlier illumination.

A large object looking like it was made from 'burnished aluminium' and with an estimated size of about 40 to 45 feet across,
was parked on the towpath. The assumed craft was so big that between ten to fifteen feet of it was jutting out over the bank
on the left of the path.

Astonished with the sight, Alfred stepped closer and observed that this craft had steps going up to it.
The steps where off line to the towpath and they had to walk onto the grass to go up them; around the hull there seemed to be
portholes and the craft rested on two ski type runners.

Steps...? Again, an earthly invention for bipedal creatures with legs. Who'd have thought that an intelligent space-travelling species
would require and create the exact type of apparatus for ascending and descending?
And the ski-like feet, information that imply physical surfaces and regular interaction with a physical reality.

Is this a clue that only cognisant races can develop on firm terrain and not in a gaseous environment? To Mr. Burtoo, the beings
seemed real enough, although he also reported that the leader of the pair 'floated' through the railings near the bridge.
Can the physical and ethereal be interchanged?

Following that leader, Mr Burtoo climbed into the craft. Surveying the interior, he was amazed at the surrounding textures.
There were no sharp corners and everything had a smooth surface. Continuing to follow the little green-garbed being, our
would-be fisherman was next led into an octagonal room, where he positioned himself just right of the doorway he'd stepped
through in order to scan this new area.

The 'leader-alien' that had led the way to the craft crossed over the room and Alfred heard the sound of a sliding door opening
and closing. Glancing down, he noticed the entity that had been behind him was standing between him and the door.
Alfred didn’t know if this was to stop him leaving the craft or not.

For more than ten minutes Mr Burtoo stood taking in everything that he could see.
The walls, the floor and the ceiling where all black and looked to him like unfinished metal, there were no seams or evidence of
fastenings anywhere, everything had a seamless, moulded look to it.

What intrigued Mr Burtoo most of all was -what he called a 'shaft' that rose up from the floor to the ceiling.
it was about 4 feet in girth and on the right-hand side of it was a z-shaped handle. Waiting on the other side of shaft were two
more humanoids, similar to those that walked along the towpath with him.

The silence was broken by a voice that Mr Burtoo was unable to source.
"Come and stand under the amber light" the unknown announcer asked impassively, but Alfred struggled to see any direct ray
or beam. Taking a step to his right, he noticed the amber radiance up close to a wall and emanating from the ceiling.
Checking his surroundings once more, Alfred stepped over to the wall and waited for what might happen next.

After around five minutes, the disembodied voice asked, “what is your age?”, to which Alfred replied that he would be seventy-eight
on his next birthday. The light glowed and the three aliens watched Mr Burtoo going through what he believed was an examination.
Then he was asked to turn around, which he did, facing the wall and wondering why his age was relevant.
The answer came five minutes later.

You can go, you are too old and infirm for our purpose" the voice boomed and the amber light faded.
Without incident, Alfred took his leave and as he carefully walked down the steps of the craft, he used a handrail that he later
recalled seemed to be made out of interlocking sections, telescopic-like -he recounted.

Stopping halfway between the object and the canal bridge Mr Burtoo looked back and noticed that the dome of the craft looked
very much like an oversized chimney cowl, and that it was now revolving anticlockwise. Then ambling back to the spot where he
had left his faithful dog guarding his fishing tackle, the first thing he did when he got there was to do what any old-timer would
do when rebuked by an extraterrestrial species because of his age.
Alfred Burtoo picked up his cold cup of tea and drank it.

The electric-generator sound came again and seemed louder in the still of the summer's night. Lights suddenly flooded the area
where the craft had stood and Alfred realised the assumed spaceship was leaving. The effulgence of the light was so intense that
the old man's fishing float could be seen on the surface of the oily-black waters of the canal. As the craft rose into the air, the thin
bars of the bridge -where the alien had 'ghosted' through, were also visible.

Moving quickly, the bright object passed over the military cemetery in the west and disappeared from view. With a possible sighting
later of a passing glow, the rest of the night for the 'too-old' fisherman was uneventful.

Guessing that whole experience had taken around one hour, Mr Burtoo settled down to wait for dawn, which came at 3.30.am.
Continuing with his fishing, and as incredible as though it may seem, he did not feel inclined to report his experience to anyone immediately.
He sat there fishing until 10 o’clock in the morning, at which time two Ministry of Defence mounted policemen rode up to him.

That was when the serious questions were asked.
Any luck mate?” one of them asked. Mr Burtoo replied yes “I've had three Roach, five Rudd and a Tench of two and a half pounds
and lost a big carp which took me into the weeds”.

What was more startling than the casual manner that Alfred displayed, was when he told the two policemen about the UFO that he
had seen. One of the riding Officers responded with: “Yes I dare say you did see a UFO. I expect they were checking on our
military installations.”!!
An honest response or just sarcasm towards a man too-old to be mocking officialdom and be galactically examined?
You decide.

As they chatted, a man from the lock yard came along and told the Ministry Of Defence policemen that horses where not allowed on
the towpath. Breaking the conversation, the Officers continued their early-morning patrol and Mr Burtoo went back to his fishing.
Just after noon, Alfred called it a day and then returned home at 1.00.pm.

Alfred's wife Marjorie and a friend noticed straight away that he was somehow different. Mr Burtoo went on to tell them that he had
seen a UFO, but kept the narrative to just a sighting.
But the event silently bothered him and returning to the landing site two days later, Mr Burtoo noticed that the foliage where the UFO
has stood was flattened and in disarray.

The following days passed without any signs that usually accompany an alien interaction, although Majorie did notice Alfred's
weight-loss due to him not eating much and his demeanour seemed different.

And that's it, no other witnesses -not even the occupants of the bungalow close to the Gasworks Bridge or vigilant soul from the Barracks.
Just Alfred, Tiny, three Roach, five Rudd and a Tench of two and a half pounds. If the elusive Carp saw anything, we'll never know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
WOW! Excellent Story, I had never heard of that UFO encounter before.
He was To Old for they Needs, What were their Needs?
DNA, Sperm, Organs, I guess we'll never know.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(05-20-2019, 05:03 PM)guohua Wrote: WOW! Excellent Story, I had never heard of that UFO encounter before.
He was Too Old for they Needs, What were their Needs?
DNA, Sperm, Organs, I guess we'll never know.

It'll be the sperm-thing, unless they were annoyed he hadn't brought any fish!!
This is a new one on me too, and I thought I'd heard them all. 

Thanks for sharing!   minusculeclap
I found some extra info on line ( hope you dont mind BIAD)

Quote:Aftermath

According to Burtoo, he then settled down to continue what he had ventured out to the canal bank for – to fish. Around 10 am, two mounted MoD policemen approached him to make small talk. That was until he mentioned the strange lights and glowing craft, to which one of them replied, “Yes. I suspect you did see that UFO. I expect they were checking on our military installations!”
With that, they would go on their way, and by shortly after noon, Burtoo was at home telling his wife of the evening’s events, before retiring for an afternoon nap.
By October of 1983 however, he would find himself desperate for more information about what he might have seen during the early hours of that August morning. So much so, that he would make contact with the local newspaper, the “Aldershot News” in search of any other witnesses. From this, the paper ran a story, which in turn found its way to the Surrey Investigation Group of Aerial Phenomena.
By November 1983, the case would fall in the “in-tray” of Timothy Good. Good would speak to Burtoo at length about the incident, and although he found it frustrating that the ex-military veteran had not thought to ask any questions at all of his “hosts”, he would state in his book, Above Top Secret that undoubtedly believed” the claims Burtoo made.
Incidentally, aside from his age, Burtoo believed his chronic bronchial problems contributed to his release. Had he had a lucky escape? Or might he have missed out on a journey of a lifetime? Regardless, his health continued to fail over the following years, until his death at eight years of age on 31st August 1986.
source
Just a few questions I have. First, at the time this happened it  was in the middle of the "troubles" so the IRA were a big danger. No MP went on patrol on there own,most used dogs, all were well armed and as far as I know the MOD and MP did not use horse mounted patrols. MPs are not known to be "friendly" at that time. Also all army patrols could go ant where they deemed fit.
This story just does not sit well with the times.
(05-21-2019, 09:12 AM)Wallfire Wrote: I found some extra info on line ( hope you dont mind BIAD)

Just a few questions I have. First, at the time this happened it  was in the middle of the "troubles" so the IRA were a big danger. No MP went on patrol on there own,most used dogs, all were well armed and as far as I know the MOD and MP did not use horse mounted patrols. MPs are not known to be "friendly" at that time. Also all army patrols could go ant where they deemed fit.
This story just does not sit well with the times.

No problems with the extra stuff, I had seen information that doubted the incident.
I think to fit the narrative -and remember this account is basically the same wherever it is shown, the actual use
of military Police would be conducive story-lining-wise, considering the location.

Whether the logistics of mounted military patrols is true, is another thing! The account is basically explaining that
IRA terrorists never attack at night and ergo, there's no need for vigilance! It seems the aliens never read the
manual!

In Wikipedia it says:

Quote:Mounted Troop of the RMP
A horse detachment of the Royal Military Police remained in service after World War II. Its purpose was mainly to undertake patrol
and other policing duties in areas not suitable for vehicles, but also to act as a ceremonial unit preserving mounted RMP traditions
dating back to the nineteenth century.
The Mounted Troop was gradually reduced to about 20 personnel and finally disbanded in 1995....'

But I'd tend to believe -if the story is real, that the two mounted Policemen were just regular Police Officers using
horses for easier covering of terrain and that British perception of aloof confidence in its monitoring.
Crowd-control is usually the use for horses, but I must admit that I've seen mounted Police wander down my quiet
street here in the North-East of England.

I must also confess that I'm as guilty as others when it came to displaying the incident. I never added anything to
what is said to have occurred, but I did use alternative words rather than just cut-and-paste the article from another
site.

I did research with maps, websites that dealt with that time period and compared accounts of Mr. Burtoo's event
in order to find discrepancies in the narrative. But, like most of the internet that reports on incidents before the
internet, they all seemed the same.

As I hinted in the account, the bungalow home near the bridge and canal lock-gates was occupied and no reports of
strange lights were made, as well as no response from the residents of North Town itself.
Considering a few days before Mr. Burtoo saw what he said he saw, twenty-two IRA members received prison sentences
totalling over 4,000 years from a Belfast court, so one would guess that a military Base would be more vigilant than usual!

The 'friendliness' aspect could be... and I stress that, could be due to Alfred Burtoo being a regular sight near the river
or that the use of an official figure gives credibility to the story.

Just an optimistic opinion on the tale. Personally, I believe it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but it's a light-hearted account
that doesn't involve anal-probing!
tinyhuh
WHAT no anal probing, seems a guy cant have any joy. tinylaughing
Anyway the whole story seems very classic outer limits
Ok this story got me hooked and i have been reading up as much as I can. At first I put the story down to the normal BS that is often told, but as I read more I no longer feel so self assured that this story is false. In my mind it is a big question mark.

Quote:Alfred Burtoo was a man who led a full life with many different experiences from which he had many a fascinating story. He would serve in the Queen’s Royal Regiment from 1924 and then for the Hampshire Regiment during the Second World War. He would live in Canada for a number of years, where he would hunt bears and fight with wolves, before eventually moving back to England where he would become well known for being a historian and would settle as a farmer and gardener. All this is significant in giving weight to the credibility of Alfred’s claim. As being someone who had so many fascinating experiences, it would not seem plausible that he would make something up to impress people. He would be able to do this with all that he had done already in his life prior to the incident by the canal.
source
(05-21-2019, 12:58 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Ok this story got me hooked and i have been reading up as much as I can. At first I put the story down to the normal BS that is often told, but as I read more I no longer feel so self assured that this story is false. In my mind it is a big question mark.

Quote:Alfred Burtoo was a man who led a full life with many different experiences from which he had many a fascinating story. He would serve in the Queen’s Royal Regiment from 1924 and then for the Hampshire Regiment during the Second World War. He would live in Canada for a number of years, where he would hunt bears and fight with wolves, before eventually moving back to England where he would become well known for being a historian and would settle as a farmer and gardener. All this is significant in giving weight to the credibility of Alfred’s claim. As being someone who had so many fascinating experiences, it would not seem plausible that he would make something up to impress people. He would be able to do this with all that he had done already in his life prior to the incident by the canal.
source

Yes, he certainly had an interesting life!
minusculethumbsup

By the way, I missed out this part.
Burtoo was also reported to have said: "...The beings spoke in a kind of "sing-song" accent, similar to "a mixture of Chinese and Russian."

I wonder what he meant by that?
(05-21-2019, 12:41 PM)Wallfire Wrote: WHAT no anal probing, seems a guy cant have any joy. tinylaughing
Anyway the whole story seems very classic outer limits
NOW,,,, that you've given them the Idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What For It,,,,,,,,,,,, Anal Probe is Coming,,,,, tinywhat
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]