Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Surprise! The universe is expanding faster than scientists thought
So,,,, Time is speeding up faster than we thought Too, Right?  :thinking:
Quote:The universe is expanding 5 to 9 percent faster than astronomers had thought, a new study suggests.

"This surprising finding may be an important clue to understanding those mysterious parts of the universe that make up 95 percent of everything and don't emit light, such as dark energy, dark matter and dark radiation," study leader Adam Riess, an astrophysicist at the Space Telescope Science Institute and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, said in a statement.
Riess — who shared the 2011 Nobel Prize in physics for the discovery that the universe's expansion is accelerating — and his colleagues used NASA's Hubble Space Telescope to study 2,400 Cepheid stars and 300 Type Ia supernovas

These are two different types of "cosmic yardsticks" that allow scientists to measure distances across the universe. Cepheids pulse at rates that are related to their true brightness, and Type Ia supernovas — powerful explosions that mark the deaths of massive stars — blaze up with consistent luminosity.

This work allowed the team to determine the distances to the 300 supernovas, which lie in a number of different galaxies. Then, the researchers compared these figures to the expansion of space, which was calculated by measuring how light from faraway galaxies stretches as it moves away from Earth, to determine how fast the universe is expanding — a value known as the Hubble constant, after famed American astronomer Edwin Hubble.
The new, unprecedentedly precise value for the Hubble constant comes out to 45.5 miles (73.2 kilometers) per second per megaparsec. (One megaparsec is equivalent to 3.26 million light-years.) Therefore, the distance between cosmic objects should double 9.8 billion years from now, the researchers said.
The new figure is 5 to 9 percent higher than previous estimates of the Hubble constant, which relied on measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation — the light left over from the Big Bang that created the universe 13.8 billion years ago.
There's more to this article Here: link

After reading it though you may feel OLDER! Shocked
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
So - we have to wait 9.8 billion years to see if this newer theory is correct... ?
Okay... ... ... ... ... Waiting... waiting... ...
Yawn
Are we there yet?
(06-04-2016, 12:37 AM)Minstrel Wrote: So - we have to wait 9.8 billion years to see if this newer theory is correct... ?
Okay... ... ... ... ... Waiting... waiting... ...
Yawn
Are we there yet?

YUP! Smile You might still be here,,, But I won't, Only in Spirit Form I'm Sure.
I have no plans on Reincarnating this time around.  I Don't Think anyway:unsure:
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-04-2016, 01:22 AM)guohua Wrote: YUP! Smile You might still be here,,, But I won't, Only in Spirit Form I'm Sure.
I have no plans on Reincarnating this time around.  I Don't Think anyway:unsure:

I don't know if we reincarnate or otherwise...but...if I'm still here, 9.8 billion years from now, I guess that means I didn't do a very good job with each lifetime awarded (sentenced)...and...I probably won't remember this conversation...so...who cares if they're right or wrong?  No-one who counts (now) will ever know.  And even if we could know - what freaking difference would it make in this lifetime?
So - as OmegaLogos and Mr. G. said --- let's communicate.
Right Here --- Right Now.

I'm going to link my thread that kind of goes along with this topic, if you don't mind.
 LINK
It will slow down... it did last time and the time before that.
Just be a little careful of the dark parts of space.
(And it's not just because the paint is still wet!)
Shocked
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.