Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My husband is back in the hospital
(10-31-2022, 01:54 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 01:16 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Thanks everyone for the love, prayers, and support.

This morning, I got a call from the doctor. He asked me if I wanted to talk to someone from palliative care. I said, yes, I’d be open to talking to someone from palliative care. Palliative care isn’t necessarily hospice, but rather is something where they can set up services for my husband to recover. What it really does is give more resources to take the extra time it will take to help my husband. After 15 or more days in the hospital, the nursing home won’t hold a bed for him anymore. I believe he will need more time to recover. Palliative care will be able to do what a hospital does, but with more one on one customized care plan to meet his needs. It may turn to hospice down the road. Will just have to wait and see.

I’ve only told my family this so far. I have not put it on my Facebook. I consider all of you my family too. 

I feel this is the best option for my husband. I feel optimistic that he will eventually recover.

How long will his insurance cover palliative care?

They will not hold his bed, but will they provide him another room on discharge if one is available? 24 hour home care is really expensive, even if you go with just a 24 hour live in caregiver. Just looking at the math, if you can get someone for the bare minimum  of about $7.00 an hour. A month is around 720 to 744 hours a month. That is about $5,040.00 to $5,208.00 a month. You would usually have to provide room and board. That is if you can get someone that will not expect compensation for evening, night, and weekend coverage. Which really adds up.

24 hour care does not mean that you yourself will not be stretched to the max. The amount of time and care you will be providing yourself will make you wonder if the caregiver is worth it. A few weeks without one, will answer that question quickly.

I know what you are going through. As a case manager, I came home every night feeling like a failure. It was a constant battle with care facilities, doctors, and insurance companies. And you would not be wrong to think that is all about the money, because it is. My heart ached for my patients and their families. And my average case load has been as high as 25 to 30 clients.

Long term care is a serious problem in out society and has been so for a many years.

I am keeping you on our prayer list. We are praying for you, by name.

Medicare and Medicaid will cover palliative care. No, I don’t know how long, but I feel they will for long enough. Yes, there is a possibility that the nursing home will provide him with another room after discharge. My husband would not be able to come home. He is hooked up to a bipap machine, has a pic line, and an NG tube. There’s no way I’d do this at home. He would be in a facility. The hospital he is at has palliative care available. I read an article that states that Medicare/Medicaid is required to pay the costs for both palliative care and hospice. 

Thank you so much for your prayers. They are very much appreciated!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]

Messages In This Thread
My husband is back in the hospital - by ChiefD - 10-23-2022, 04:09 AM
RE: My husband is back in the hospital - by Sol - 10-23-2022, 10:58 AM
RE: My husband is back in the hospital - by Sol - 10-25-2022, 10:17 AM
RE: My husband is back in the hospital - by Snarl - 10-27-2022, 04:19 AM
RE: My husband is back in the hospital - by Snarl - 10-31-2022, 01:29 AM
RE: My husband is back in the hospital - by ChiefD - 10-31-2022, 02:01 AM