Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Which ones of the 10 commandments have you broke? (If any)
(10-11-2022, 10:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 09:27 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 07:20 PM)Finspiracy Wrote: What if there was no need for the "why?" We just knew. Everything. I think that would involve a high risk of dying due to pure boredom. There would have been no need or will for me to make this thread. I would have already known everyone's replies beforehand. The fascination resides within the mystery.

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

1 Corinthians, 13:12, New International Version

The quest for wisdom is the essence of life in this realm. We will never attain it here, but still the compulsion continues, for as long as we do.

I have had on more than one occasion during my life, events of knowing without reason of knowing.

Many years ago, when I was still in university, I had a friend I loved like a sister. Her husband and family fully adopted me into their family. Which is always a special gift to the university student away from home.

One night, I awakened from my sleep in a state of panic. It was 2am. I had to talk to my friend. It was insane to call her that hour of the morning, but I had to talk to her. Her husband answered the phone and he was very annoyed that I was calling, but he wasn't nasty about it. He put the phone down and I waited for my friend to come to the phone, after a few minutes the phone clicked off.

I thought at first that her husband just hung up on me, but my panic was over. He called me back about three hours later. He sounded really confused. He asked me why did I call at 2 am. I explained that I woke up in a panic and just felt I "had" to talk to her. He started crying. He told me that when he tried to wake her up, he couldn't wake her. He hung up and called the paramedics. They could not get her to respond at the hospital and she died. It turned out she had an anaphylactic response to a new medication she had started taking.

I did not know that my friend was dying. I will never know why I was awakened. I did know, I "knew", that I had to reach out to her, and I had no way of knowing why.

I could give you many more examples of this kind of knowing that has just come upon me at times in the past. This kind of knowing is not unique to me. In fact, I am willing to bet that almost everyone of us has this kind of knowing. We have been taught to suppress it for some reason, but it seems to break though every now and then.

'After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper."

1 Kings 19:12 NIV

Most folks seem to equate that "still, small voice" in that passage with one's own conscience. I personally think it is something else, that it is really God speaking to you. So when that voice speaks, folks ought to listen, but sadly they usually don't, and then just write it off as a figment of their own imagination.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which ones of the 10 commandments have you broke? (If any) - by Ninurta - 10-11-2022, 10:13 PM