Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Which ones of the 10 commandments have you broke? (If any)
(10-11-2022, 07:20 PM)Finspiracy Wrote: What if there was no need for the "why?" We just knew. Everything. I think that would involve a high risk of dying due to pure boredom. There would have been no need or will for me to make this thread. I would have already known everyone's replies beforehand. The fascination resides within the mystery.

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

1 Corinthians, 13:12, New International Version

The quest for wisdom is the essence of life in this realm. We will never attain it here, but still the compulsion continues, for as long as we do.

Likewise, the Ten Commandments are a goal to aspire to, but one we will never entirely attain. Their purpose is not to "lay down the law" per se, they are there to demonstrate that there are standards that we as mere mortals can never entirely live up to, to demonstrate the sinful nature of man, and his need for "salvation" from an external source. they are there, essentially, to show us that we cannot get to heaven on a technicality, that we cannot pick ourselves up to that level by grasping our own bootstraps. That in order to attain the goal, we have to have outside assistance, which is where the new testament, and the new covenant, enters the picture.

As was pointed out above, Jesus said that he did not come to abolish the law, but instead that he came to fulfill it.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which ones of the 10 commandments have you broke? (If any) - by Ninurta - 10-11-2022, 09:27 PM