Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A "Doorway" on Mars? Curiosity Rover Mastcam Image Sol 3466
(05-15-2022, 08:07 AM)BIAD Wrote: I recall the controversy over the 'Mermaid' find and I never knew it was just a tiny outcrop!
Maybe it's a cultural-thing that we always assume 'aliens' to be within a range of a certain size and small creatures don't
have the brain capacity to create rectangular entrances. Again, another example of our conditioning.
minusculethinking

Aye, conditioning. Tiny bodies must have tiny brains, and tiny brains can't contain much horsepower.

Parrots and crows have tiny brains, too, yet they can talk to you in human speech.

Those tiny brains maximize the potential necessary for the organism's survival.

Or, as all of my wives have repeatedly told me - "It ain't what you got, it's how you use it!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted the images I created of the "statue" (3D, cross-eyed format) and stats over at TOS back in the day, but I can't be assed to hunt them down right now.

To a 3" tall organism, a 17" tall doorway would be like a 30 foot tall doorway to a 6' human, and I struggle to recall how big the doorways were to the funerary temple of Hatshepsut at Karnak...

It would be interesting to find the left and right versions of that image, just to see if a perfectly rectangular hole is really going back into that dirt bank... I note that is the right lens image, so the left lens image is what we need to look for, and this is the page where my search starts:

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw...d_sol=3466

ETA: NASA claim to have between 250 and 300 mastcam images for that sol, yet I can only access 50 of them. That sort of pisses me off, since it was MY tax money that paid to take the pictures... so it appears I may have to dust off some old hats and get to work!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: A "Doorway" on Mars? Curiosity Rover Mastcam Image Sol 3466 - by Ninurta - 05-15-2022, 08:19 AM