Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Earth Day Special
(04-24-2022, 03:23 PM)Snarl Wrote: Humans can't hurt the Earth.  Can barely even leave their mark on Her.

I'd have to argue with that, a couple of images where humans have left their mark.

The the world's largest at 4.3 km (2.7 mi) long, 3 km (1.9 mi) wide and over 900 m (3,000 ft) deep. Chuquicamata, locally known as “Chuqui”, is the biggest open-pit copper mine in the world by excavated volume. The pit is located in the north of Chile. The mine is owned and operated by Codelco, the Chilean state enterprise.
[Image: R-66f983793f41bab09690e0dce9cafa48.jpg]

Located in Siberia, Russia, the Mirny mine is a former open-pit diamond deposit, now inactive. The mine is 1,722 ft deep and has a diameter of 3,900 ft, being the second largest excavated hole in the world. The airspace above the mine had to be closed because helicopters were sucked in by the airflow.

[Image: MIRNY-DIAMOND-MINE-OF-SIBERIA-mod.jpg]

Quote:Here is my list of the Top 15 largest and biggest mines in the world:   They are economically big and physically large, taking a lot of time and power to excavate using special mining equipment. But in their core, there’s what big mining companies are looking for: the precious ore. Join us as we explore the world of the largest man-made canyons yet.

Top 15 largest and biggest mines in the world:

then there's Clear Cut Logging, this is a link for images in just the Amazon. You can do a search for for where ever logging is a big industry and see the same thing.

clear cut logging in the amazon

Then you have to think about all the damns that have been built, Three Gorges, TVA, Hoover, just to name a few.

All that i pointed out are the large ones, didn't even go into other industries or smaller operations which there are thousands world wide.

Now don't miss understand me, it's nothing compared to what nature the earth can do, and  I realize that humans need the resources that these produce. But to say that building or getting  them in such massive scale is not leaving a mark long term is incorrect.

ETA: I left one out that I wanted to show, they say this is estimated to be twice the size of Texas, or three time the size of France. It kills marine life and, birds thst feed off of it, and also gets into the human food supply from the fish and other marine life that eats the plastic.

The GPGP (Great Pacific Garbage Patch)

[Image: Great-Pacific-Garbage-Patch.jpg]

There another one in the Atlantic, I'd call that a big ol mark.
[Image: TWBB.png]

Messages In This Thread
The Earth Day Special - by EndtheMadnessNow - 04-23-2022, 07:46 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by BIAD - 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-24-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-24-2022, 04:09 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 01:25 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-25-2022, 01:35 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 01:58 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-25-2022, 02:16 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 02:30 PM