Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will the "Pandemic" Ever End?
(07-27-2021, 12:48 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: @"Michigan Swamp Buck", my grandmother cooked poke-weed with scrambled eggs.  That's the only place I ever ate any. 
She knew how to fix it to make sure the poisonous parts didn't get in the cooking pot.  I didn't realize it was poisonous until many years later. That kind of scared me from eating it again, but it sure was good!  
That "granny's touch" I guess.    tinybiggrin

You have to boil poke like greens (think spinach or collards) through about 3 courses of water, pouring the water off each time and replacing it with fresh, to get the nasties out. Then what we would do is after the final drain, roll it in eggs and cornmeal to "bread" it, and fry it up like that with a little salt and pepper. Yum! Folks would look at me crazy-like when I told them I ate it, and say "you can't eat that - it's poisonous!" - but I'm still kicking high just fine, with no ill effects from it.

Manioc is "poisonous" like that too, but South American Indians fix it up every day to bake bread out of, and it don't kill them, either. They prepare manioc by pounding it into a pulp, mixing in water, and then packing it into great big tubular woven sieves to leech out the poison by squeezing the sieves. The poisonous fraction dissolves in the water and juice, and leeches out.

And if you've ever eaten tapioca...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by guohua - 07-25-2021, 09:50 PM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by Ninurta - 07-26-2021, 04:35 AM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by Ninurta - 07-26-2021, 04:31 AM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by Ninurta - 07-28-2021, 12:26 AM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by Kenzo - 07-26-2021, 06:44 AM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by Ninurta - 07-28-2021, 12:48 AM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by guohua - 07-27-2021, 04:48 PM
RE: Will the "Pandemic" Ever End? - by BIAD - 07-27-2021, 05:57 PM