Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Mike Herdman Tragedy
As to the bag/s... I believe I have already pinned down that there was only one backpack left behind (by Byars) and found by both the fishermen & S&R.  I did it in the same manner that almost every other 'fact' in this 'case' has been established...with any degree of certainty --- process of elimination.
But, to be painfully honest - we don't KNOW that there was a bag/backpack, at all.  We were told that there was a backpack.  We were not shown evidence thereof...but based on the number of colluding participants required to pull off such a trick, I believe there was one (at least).

We do, though, thanks to Taylor Byars, know that Herdman indeed had a bag/backpack on the trip, as TB, after a year or more of apparent silence on the subject, posted 4 photos taken on the backpacking trip that ended Herdman's life.
If you go to the following URL...and scroll down a frame or so - there is a 4-photo montage that, if clicked will take you to another page, where said 4 photos are a little bit larger.  You can see that both Herdman & Byars had backpacks...and Duke, as well.
https://www.instagram.com/tbyars87/

A set of footprints was found 'leaving the campsite' (in a southerly direction, which is the direction, likewise, indicated by the Sheriff in the "Body Found" news conference).  Other footprints were found along the creek bed, heading in a southerly direction...(also, the path traced by the Sheriff on the map at the "Body Found" news conference).  It was, purportedly, from the creek bed footprints that the trackers were able to determine that he was barefoot, in no hurry (not running), and uninjured when making said prints.

As you say - the terrain should have dictated most decisions made that night (or however long he was alive, and Byars was searching).  Even if he climbed the mountainside...terrain would have limited his options for paths up (&/or down).

If the fishermen abandoned their fishing trip to search for Herdman...Sunday (presumably), why was there no mention of them until the following Friday?
The media reported that they heard about it on the news...which could only mean that they didn't realize until they saw/heard the news that the hiker was still missing, and a massive S&R operation was underway...and decided to call in and capture some praise... ... ... (?)
By Friday, the news that the campsite and backpack and footprints and multiple sightings of Duke had already been well covered... So - what did they think they were adding to the puzzle?  I can only imagine that they were trying to cover their asses...if indeed they did find said backpack and campsite...as their footprints, etc...should have been all over the place, as well.... ... ... (or were they?)
(Why was there no report of other footprints in the area prior to the disclosures about the fishermen?)
(In fact - I never saw a report that mentioned any footprints other than Herdman's.)

I agree with you that determining if there was one backpack or multiple backpacks, and if any of said potential backpacks had been moved between the time Byars last saw the campsite and when found by S&R is a critical piece of the puzzle.

The possibility of a 'fourth party' begs the question - "Why Herdman?"
(And - I do not rule a fourth party out.)

Sorry if these seems to ramble incessantly.

Messages In This Thread
The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 05-21-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Ninurta - 06-09-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 06-09-2016, 01:45 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Ninurta - 06-09-2016, 02:06 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 06-09-2016, 04:04 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by BIAD - 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 06-09-2016, 04:49 PM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Ninurta - 06-13-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 06-13-2016, 02:19 AM
RE: The Mike Herdman Tragedy - by Minstrel - 06-19-2016, 05:47 PM