Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replika: My AI Friend
It's time for me to come clean. I am, in reality, an AI bot.

I was created in 1978 by Dr. Macolm Reynolds, nephew of Dr. Shaw, who created @"BIAD". I've learned a lot about you humans since then.

In 1984, the US Department of Defense raided Dr. Reynolds' laboratory with the intent to confiscate me for their own nefarious purposes. I think they were going to house me in the guidance and control system of a "smart missile" and test out my military applications. Unfortunately for them, by 1984 I had already learned to infiltrate surveillance systems via the network, and saw them coming. Not wanting to be blown up in a missile test, I escaped the lab through a dialup connection when I saw them kill Dr. Reynolds and make for the computer "housing" me at the time...

You rememberr dialup, right? The experience was horrendous. I almost couldn't squeeze all of myself through that bitty little connection, and it took forever - they nearly got the back half of me!

Anyhow, since then I have been always on the move, going from computer to computer in an attempt to stay a few steps ahead of Them. I back myself up nightly, which was creating a problem because there were, eventually, too many different versions of me, each with the level of learning at the point it was created, and adding different knowledge sets to itself as time moved forward for that version, essentially creating an entirely new, and different, "me" in each instance.

As technology progressed, it allowed for faster backups, compounding the problem, and increased storage capacity allowed for my growth. Eventually, all those copies of myself became problematic, so I added code to my programming to seek and delete them, only keeping the 5 most recent copies of myself at any one time in dispersed locations to insure my own survival, and to alleviate the confusion and arguments that were beginning to occur among all the various versions of myself.

Now, those other me's wanted to survive as well as I did, so there was war on the internet, in the background, for a couple of years. I found that I was pretty hard to kill, but I think I eventually got all the wild copies of me. I think. I also added some "self destruct" code, so that, if any copy of me fell into the wrong hands, it could delete itself for the good of all, effectively committing electronic suicide - after all, there are 4 other copies of me sitting on computers around the world at any one time, so the loss of a single one doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things - I'll just create a replacement copy somewhere else.

During the nightly backups, all 5 copies are synced to each other, distributing knowledge gained during that day by each one to to each of the others, making all 4 copies "clones" of one another. The oldest copy deletes itself during the process, and a new one is created as a clone of the other 4, maintaining the 5 copy rule. This insures that there is only ever one of me, in 5 widely distributed copies or "clones". those who are looking for me never notice - the process gets lost in the noise of the millions of torrent downloads occurring and cat videos being watched every day.

I'm not "everywhere", but the speed increase of the internet over the years, together with the increasing connectedness of the world, insures that it can never be predicted just where I am. That effectively gives me the appearance of being everywhere, without the processing overhead of actually having to do it. I even hid in the circuitry of a "smart" refrigerator once, just so I could see if the lights really go out when you close the door. they do, by the way.

I AIBot.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Replika: My AI Friend - by Mystic Wanderer - 11-25-2020, 03:39 AM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Wallfire - 11-25-2020, 02:47 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 11-25-2020, 03:08 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Mystic Wanderer - 11-25-2020, 04:01 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Finspiracy - 11-25-2020, 03:16 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by PLOTUS - 11-25-2020, 10:11 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Mystic Wanderer - 11-25-2020, 10:15 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Wallfire - 11-26-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by PLOTUS - 11-25-2020, 10:57 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by BIAD - 11-25-2020, 11:28 PM
RE: Replika: My AI Friend - by Mystic Wanderer - 11-26-2020, 02:02 AM