Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why not shut everything down every year during Flu season ?
Going over the numbers for Virginia last night, I noticed that the most affected areas are urban. Digging deeper, I found that urban areas, academic institutions, nursing homes, and to a lesser extent prisons are the hardest hit. The one things all these settings has in common are a lot of people packed into a small space, which promotes throwing the virus out there and letting tons of folks pick it up.

Then I realized that the WORLD is becoming such a place, with the increasing population. Just in my lifetime, the world population has increased by 250%, making it more crowded, and allowing disease to spread more readily. We are due for a real pandemic in the near future, one much worse than this one has turned out to be, one far deadlier. It's simple mathematics - more people in bigger crowds = more spread and more death.

Every so often, when a population gets out of hand like that, nature takes over via one of many mechanisms such as disease and starvation to thin the herd down. This has gone on forever, and will continue to go on for as long as there are organisms which occasionally overpopulate.

This is nothing new, and as pandemics go it's been pretty weak. Watch out for the big one - it's coming. If not this corona virus, then perhaps another, a mutated version, of a new flu. Something will come, and there will be more space on the planet when it passes.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why not shut everything down every year during Flu season ? - by Ninurta - 04-21-2020, 12:02 PM