Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya
The 737 max both the 8 and 9 series have extra big engines which provide extra thrust. Being bigger they are mounted slightly more forward that say the normal new generation 737s.. when power is added the nose of the aircraft will pitch up.. I have flown many aircraft that would do the same but all one has to do is trim the aircraft and over come the nose up tendency.. a Lear jet would eat your lunch if you were not on top of it

So... Boing installed an electronic stick puller/pusher. If the angle of attack is to high the control column will be pushed forward automatically..(control column pulled back houses get small while control column forward houses get big quickly) The nose up attitude is detected by the angle of attack sensor located on either side of the aircraft nose.. evidently the software for the angle of attack sensor is fubar. 

Many of the new generation aircraft pilots are told to engage the auto pilot at 1000 ft above ground and let the aircraft fly the departure procedure they have programed into the flight management system. Even before I retired many of the new generation pilots were great button pushers but pretty weak as far as stick and rudder guys/gals which works as long as everything else works as advertised. 

Boeing tried to make the 737 max series fall under the same type rating as the 737-200, 300, 500, 700, 800, 900, series so a different type rating would not be required for the pilots or a new certification process for the aircraft which both requires time and money for the airlines and Boeing.. So far that ain't working out very well as for months pilots have complained the max series is a 737 in name only...

They will get all this sorted out pretty quickly as grounded aircraft do not make an airline money.. I just hope the fix is indeed a fix and not a band aide/plaster that is libel to come off in the future..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by Wallfire - 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by 727Sky - 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by Wallfire - 04-06-2019, 11:04 AM