Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaked Documents Outline DHS’s Plans to Police Disinfo
I'll be signing up soon for a position as a government shill and de-bunker of misinformation.

Quote:Hearing only conspiratorial accounts of government behavior, their members become even more prone to believe and generate such accounts. Informational and reputational cascades, group polarization and selection effects suggest that the generation of ever-more-extreme views within these groups can be dampened or reversed by the introduction of cognitive diversity.

This is true but also misguided.

Let’s take a look ATS for example. In the 16 or so years I have been visiting there, I have seen some of even the most neutral members become highly polarized to the point of being radicalized by the “cascade” of bias confirming circle-jerking echo chamber nature of the place so I believe the first part of this statement is quite accurate.

However, the government is being foolish to think this trend can be dampened or reversed by the introduction of “cognitive diversity”. From my own experience, that’s a joke. Closed minds only listen to things that reinforce whatever it is they’ve come to believe or whatever groupthink ideology gets the most stars and flags and is the most popular. The circular nature of this grows by feeding on itself and indeed does promote increasingly extreme views and polarization and once that switch has been flipped, it rarely gets switched back regardless of the introduction of alternate views or "cognitive diversity".
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leaked Documents Outline DHS’s Plans to Police Disinfo - by Freija - 11-01-2022, 10:23 PM