Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Timeless Message or Personal Situation?
(07-02-2022, 02:14 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I've been delving into music for inspiration lately. I have for most of my life really, but I've had to actively include music in my life more recently for some reason. Old age perhaps or just caught up in the grind so much I had forgotten musical inspiration. It can be a powerful motivating force if you can find inspiring music and lyrics.

So I have been contemplating some music I find meaningful and inspiring. One is "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic and another is "Head Like a Hole" by Nine Inch Nails. Just examining the lyrics of both songs sends me timeless messages, however, upon deeper research I've found that neither song is about what I interpreted them to be.
Tool's 'Lateralus' does this to me every time. I could get lost in discussing the absolutely annoying and brilliant math and technical insanity of Danny Carey's drum work and time signature modulation, the significance of each second that Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor engage and disengage, right down to the cadence of Maynard's lyrics... Everyone that makes a YouTube video has discussed all of this ad nauseam... What very few bring up, however, is the specific lyric...
"Overthinking Overanalyzing separates the body from the mind"
...the song is not meant to be deconstructed. It is a ritual so to speak...
For instance... "Black then White are all I see Red and Yellow then came to me"...
Most associate the above as anecdotal to the supposed stages of the development of a child's ability to see colour... But then, add to that the colours of the 4 Humors...add to that Magnum Opus of alchemy, add to that a Native American Medicine Colour Wheel, add to that the lyric from a Christian Sunday school song..
"Red and Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in his sight"
Those same 4 colours are universal... Why are they universal? I must research further... And suddenly I am overthinking instead of losing myself in the music like the shamans of old...
In the game of chess, you can never let your adversary see your pieces. - Zapp Brannigan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Timeless Message or Personal Situation? - by MalevolentTwitch - 07-02-2022, 02:44 PM