Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
The (Dark) "Cloud"
I'm not going to write Part III right now, but I would like to throw out some terms to get some of the "wheels" turning and the "juices" flowing on this subject.  So, put your Paranoia hat on for just a moment and follow along with me.  I'm betting when we get done you're going to be renaming that hat!

These are all terms you may have heard at some point in your computer travels, and there's a pretty high (extremely high actually) probability that wherever you heard these terms whoever said them was also saying these are "Good" things, and positive things and more secure things.  And, in some respects they 'can' be and ARE good things, BUT they also 'can' have far more sinister uses!

Terms
  1. Meta-Data
  2. Cloud Storage
  3. Virtual Networks
  4. Virtual Servers
  5. Virtual PC's
  6. Desktop Virtualization
  7. 2 Factor Authentication
  8. Voice over IP (VOIP)
  9. Power over Ethernet (POE)
  10. Smart card technology
  11. EXIF data (really the same as Meta-Data by another name)
  12. Biometrics
  13. Quantum computing (LOL!  I had to plan that...so it would be #13!  Oh boy, if the world only knew!)
All of these things (and many more) are generally 'advertised' as being good things.  And, when utilized by people with good intentions, they ARE good things...for the most part (or at least they can be).  However, what's the one thing all of these trendy buzz-words have in common?  And, what is new about these technologies which didn't exist (for the most part) from the late 60's until today?

Answer - They all require a "Host". 

Think about this one for a moment. ...

Your PC didn't require a host.  Your HDD didn't require a host.  One 'network' didn't require a traffic cop (host) to determine which data belonged on which network.  Your desktop didn't require a host (it was your PC).  You didn't require a host to login to your PC (you just typed your password).  Your telephone didn't require a host (to covert analog to digital and back to analog again).  The lights in your office didn't require a host (a (very smart) Ethernet switch) to turn on.  Your trip to the gas station didn't require a host to validate your credit card (yes, authorizations aren't new, but chips are!  The ones that connect YOU to the purchase!).  Your fingerprint reader didn't require a host (but it does now!).  And then there's "Quantum computing"....where not even the processor is real...and there are hosts out the butt there! 

So...who exactly IS this ever so gracious "host"?  

Sure, we know it's not one 'guy', or even one entity, but just imagine for a moment how much easier it just got to aggregate all those colossal Mt. Everests of data into much more manageable subsets for maybe a little closer scrutiny.  I mean, surely no one believes that Google just does all that fancy search results presentation for free, right?  And, where did they get all that data anyway?  But...it's not nearly enough, not even close!  Nope...now we need the "Cloud" to keep it all straight?

Still like the name of your hat?

Maybe a better name might be..."Oh shit, all these dots are connected, aren't they!?!?!  Every single last one of them!  I wonder why?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

....And we haven't even started with Part III yet!

Messages In This Thread
The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-15-2022, 05:13 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-15-2022, 05:55 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-15-2022, 06:48 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-15-2022, 07:03 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-17-2022, 01:53 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by 727Sky - 06-17-2022, 01:21 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 06-17-2022, 03:25 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by EndtheMadnessNow - 06-17-2022, 04:32 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-17-2022, 06:30 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by BIAD - 06-17-2022, 08:38 AM
RE: The (Dark) "Cloud" - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-17-2022, 03:15 PM