Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chipping Hands and Foreheads is SO 20th Century!
(06-01-2022, 11:54 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: The pay-not-to-own thing has been coming on for a while. 

Think John Deere tractors. 

While it does provide more revenue, I would love to believe at some point consumers will have had enough. 

If I buy an umpteen zillion dollar tractor yet you tell me it's not really mine? I am just using it for a price? 

Where in the news have we heard that sentiment recently?

Yeah, when John Deere started that foolishness, their use dropped precipitously around here. You see a lot more Kubotas these days. These hill folk here come in large part from Scottish stock, and they want to have something to show for their cash outlays besides a hole in the air where a tractor should be sitting.

Now unless you have an old copy of Adobe software, you can't get it unless you "cloud compute" and use their software on their computers for a hefty monthly fee. same for a lot of Microsoft software nowadays. Sorry, but if I'm gonna pay for a software package, I'm gonna have more to show for it than all my crap on someone else's computer, so I just don't use any of those cloud computing "solutions".

What I create remains in my control. I send it out into the wild, but the originals are MINE, on MY equipment, and always will be. There are no percentages in giving someone else full control of YOUR stuff.

My Windows 7 keeps nagging me every so often that an "update is available". Now I know Win7 is well past it's end of life, and they are not doing any upkeep or updates on it any more. It might just be wanting to update the Windows Defender virus definitions or something, but I recall the Windows 10 rollout where they snuck in a nag program that kept trying to convince you to "upgrade" (really a downgrade) to Windows 10, and if you didn't cave in a certain length of time, the bastards just went ahead and downgraded you to Win10 through that nag program in the middle of the night when you weren't looking.

Hell with that! That's why I keep "auto update" turned off on all my computers. Funny thing, you can't turn the "auto update" off in Windows 10...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chipping Hands and Foreheads is SO 20th Century! - by Ninurta - 06-02-2022, 02:01 AM