Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(05-30-2022, 02:59 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Sharing video of glassed eggs test after twelve months.

I am a bit afraid of glassed eggs in Florida, it is hot more frequently than not. I live in the woods, and power outages are not rare in the woods, so keeping them cool for a year may be a challenged, and I can't stand the thought of destroying a bucket full of eggs.

A hundred and fifty years ago, they used to use sodium silicate to "glass" eggs for preservation. You can still get the solution under the name "water glass", but it would be cost prohibitive to buy the solution ready made in quantity. It's also used as a glue, and is what they used to glue paper cartridges for black powder revolvers together with.

I'm sure you could make the sodium silicate solution yourself, but have not researched cost and availability of the components. I had never heard of using lime until YouTube happened.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by Ninurta - 05-30-2022, 09:34 PM