Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to West Virginia - Please Exercise Caution
(05-21-2022, 06:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 10:42 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 08:55 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...He was with Mike Fink when Mr. Fink and an Indian killed one another somewhere around Orma WV I think.
The graves are still there and still maintained...

Yup, that's the grave. It's around 6 miles south of where my dad was raised. O'Brien came back with a burial party, and they buried them where they fell. As the image shows, the graves are still maintained, and the headstone is a modern one.

The area was not very heavily settled until around 1810 and afterwards, 30 years after the fight in the wilderness, when the initial settlers arrived like Peter McCune (O'Brien's son in law and exploration partner) and several others, some of whom were harbingers of encroaching civilization  like a tanner and cobbler named Felix Norman.

Most accounts say that O'Brien lived to the age of about 109, and died at his home just south of Spencer, WV, which is now in Roane County, but back then was still in Kanawha County. This grave is several miles east in what is now Calhoun County.

Mike Fink was a riverman, working on the flatboats that went down the Ohio river. They cobbled the boats together out of lumber at Fort Pitt, now Pittsburg PA, and used them to haul furs and produce to New Orleans, in Louisiana, by river. In New Orleans, they would sell the cargo, disassemble the boat and sell it for lumber, and then return north overland. There are a lot of tall tales about Mike Fink from those days, but this grave is the final resting place of a legend.

In the middle of nowhere.

The story of Mike Fink's death is a cautionary tale - in an era of single shot weapons that are slow to reload, carry more than one, because you may run into more opposition than one shot can kill.

Please tell me no relation to Larry Fink of BlackRock.  tinybigeyes
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome to West Virginia - Please Exercise Caution - by EndtheMadnessNow - 05-21-2022, 06:58 PM