• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A "Doorway" on Mars? Curiosity Rover Mastcam Image Sol 3466
(05-14-2022, 06:41 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 03:50 PM)gordi Wrote:

I wonder what size that thing is??

Cheers,
minusculebeercheers
G

Snopes -the really not-state-funded judicial ass-heads of the internet, display a quote they received via
email from a JPL spokesperson:
“The team’s scientists underlined just how small [the crevice] is: roughly 30 centimeters wide and
45 centimeters across (11 by 17 inches)”

So even though it looks like a door and indicates an interior, Mars inhabitants are bigger than that door
you see in the picture. I hope that clears-up any concerns that it is artificial. It is a door-shaped opening,
but nothing to be concerned about when realising nature doesn't make straight lines.
tinysure

Do you recall the "Bigfoot statue on Mars" event? I do. it was circa 2009 or 2010, just before the Faltskog Hoax broke.

I was involved in it to a degree. It spawned all those "it's a rock!" memes.

It left me scratching my head. A lot of folks said it was just a shadow, not mineral at all. So I went and hunted down specialized software calibrated to the mastcams to analyze it. The software worked on the principle that the mastcam lenses were a certain distance apart, and took two images, one per lens. If you could find both images, left and right, it could create a 3D image, and use the parallax and pixel resolution of the cameras to calculate size and distance.

So I hunted down all the images with the "statue" in them after I got hold of the software. The name of the software was "Algorimancer", I still have a copy if anyone is interested.

The "bigfoot statue" (some called it the "little mermaid") turned out to be an actual projection of rock, curiously shaped, and not a "shadow".  It was, as I recall, about 5 meters from the mastcam, and around 3 inches tall, on the edge of a really tiny "cliff". Not really huge for a statue... unless the creators were really tiny, too.

So you say this doorway is only 11"x17"? Imagine that...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11432]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11433]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11434]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: A "Doorway" on Mars? Curiosity Rover Mastcam Image Sol 3466 - by Ninurta - 05-15-2022, 07:43 AM