Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boxing Harry and the mythology of the Full English Breakfast
I think I experienced a degree of culture shock just reading that.

In my neck of the woods, "fried bread" didn't come in slices. Ma used to make it, but she made it out of corn meal and diced onions, frying it into "fritters" from batter made of corn meal with the other flavorings mixed in, like the aforementioned onions. I think the technology of it must have come down through an Indian branch of the family, and that it probably originated as "fry bread", but what Indians cook as fry bread now bears only a slight resemblance, being made of wheat flour as it is. So our "fried bread", while fried, looked more like a bastardized pancake made out of corn meal and whatever else was handy.

But at least we did use lard or leftover bacon grease to fry it in, so there is that commonality.

I am mystified by the reference to potatoes in connection with a need for a freezer. We never kept potatoes in a freezer, we instead kept them in a root cellar, being "root crops" as they are... then again, we stored them as the whole tuber, and only processed them into whatever their final form was going to be at the point of cooking,

Tea at breakfast is a novel and alien concept here in the South. It's rare enough to find folks drinking hot tea. Southerners generally drink it cold, very cold, and with way too damned much sugar in it. I'm one of the rare breed here that ever drinks it hot, a habit I picked up during one of our sub-zero winters years ago, drinking it more for the heat than for the caffeine. Nowadays, the only tea I drink is Green Tea, more for the antioxidants than anything else.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boxing Harry and the mythology of the Full English Breakfast - by Ninurta - 04-23-2022, 06:02 PM