Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ROGUE CUP CHALLENGE #9-'The Roguening'
(04-06-2022, 09:55 PM)FauxMulder Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 09:00 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 08:45 PM)Jinmi Wrote: Sorry Im late!

Who was the 4th in your golf outing?

Great question actually!

I had forgotten who it was last night when I wrote that, but after thinking about it for a bit last night I remembered.  His name was Dave Kocourek.  (ret. Tight End for the Oakland Raiders #83 in '68).

How did you get into a round of golf with those 3 people?

Heh, pure and total luck! 

I was a kid, about 11 at the time, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  Full disclosure, I pretty much sucked at golf (in comparison).  I golfed as a hobby and for fun.  LOL...how I happened to be where I was at the time was...I also just happened to have the keys to one of the golf carts and had just come back from the driving range!  They were actually practicing for a Pro-Am Tournament which was to be held the next day.  I was just along for the ride...with stars in my eyes of course.  I shot a 68...<polishing fingernails on shirt>...

...on the 1st hole!!!  LOL!  Not really, but it sure felt that way. 

I did not play a full round, and no, I did not keep score.  But I did play golf with them, and because of the way the country club rules worked, I was technically part of one of the two the 'foursomes'.  (i.e. two golfers per cart, two carts per foursome, and two foursomes in play).  Bob Hope and Jack Nicklaus moved between the four carts during the round, just being friendly and social.  Both were/are absolutely fantastic, down to Earth, people!  

I think I was the comedic element of the group.

Course - Marco Island Country Club (now called the 'Island Country Club')
Location - Marco Island, Florida
Year - 1974

ETA - BTW, Bob Hope was a hell of a golfer, and easily could have been a Pro! A true "natural" at the sport, something you don't see every day (and/or very rarely)!

Messages In This Thread
RE: ROGUE CUP CHALLENGE #9-'The Roguening' - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-06-2022, 10:58 PM