Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How the World’s Greatest Aircraft Carrier Became a $13 Billion Fiasco
(03-11-2022, 08:09 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I think I'm having a Mandela Effect moment.

I used to live in Newport News, On Jefferson Avenue right across the railroad tracks from the shipyard. I could walk out my door and see the shipyard from where I stood. I lived there in the late 1980's. and distinctly recall the USS Enterprise coming in for refit and repair. They kept it in the drydock closest to the James River Bridge that carried Rt 17 from Newport News to Surry, across the river, and it was in drydock for almost 4 years.

Matter of fact, I picked up one of it's saliors one night in Hampton and drove him back to the gate at the shipyard so he wouldn't be late for bedcheck. He'd gotten rolled at a mall in Hampton and didn't have any money left for cab fare, so I gave him a ride.

Now this article says the USS Enterprise has not yet even been delivered to the Navy, much less be in need of refit and repairs.

It will be the new Ford Class Enterprise not the Nimitz's class Enterprise which was parked in 2013 and became part of the reserve fleet I think.. The name Enterprise has been on an aircraft carrier since the late 30s which may be one reason Star Trek went with that name ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the World’s Greatest Aircraft Carrier Became a $13 Billion Fiasco - by 727Sky - 03-11-2022, 10:10 AM