Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scottish Police Chief apologises.
(02-24-2022, 10:55 AM)gordi Wrote: My favourite tale of such frugality came in the form of a telephone conversation between a Widow from Peterhead, and a reporter from the local newspaper "The Evening Express".

Widow: Hello, I'd like to place an obituary for my late husband, can you tell me the cost please?
Reporter: Yes madam, it's five pounds per word for obituaries.
Widow: Oh my! That's a bit expensive... I only have twenty pounds... uhm... You'd better just put this: "Ian Reid, Peterheid, Deid" (*translates as: Ian Reid, Peterhead, Dead.)
Reporter: Oh madam, that seems a little bit.... erm... abrupt... let me talk to the editor to see what we can do, and I'll call you right back.
Later:
Reporter: Hello Mrs Reid. Good News, my editor has agreed to give you three extra words included in the price, to help with your late husbands obituary.
Widow: Oh thank you, thank you very much! If you could just put this then:
"Ian Reid, Peterheid, Deid. - Volvo For Sale! - "

minusculebeercheers

tinylaughing Classic!
I was in Rimini -Italy was on my honeymoon back in '83 and was explaining the stereotypes of Britain to a group
of people from all over Europe. But a late-comer to the humorous chat waited until I arrived at speaking of the
Scottish typecast and told me loudly that I was in error. He was a Scotsman!

I had to use all my limited powers of persuasion to explain that being from the North-East of England doesn't
purvey we are hesitant in spending money because of thriftiness, just that we don't have the lifestyles that
some further south do!
I bought him a pint and all was forgotten!
tinywondering
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
Scottish Police Chief apologises. - by Bally002 - 02-22-2022, 05:15 AM
RE: Scottish Police Chief apologises. - by gordi - 02-24-2022, 10:55 AM
RE: Scottish Police Chief apologises. - by BIAD - 02-24-2022, 11:46 AM
RE: Scottish Police Chief apologises. - by gordi - 02-24-2022, 01:23 PM