Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Bathroom Wall out-lets or A/C!!??
(11-16-2021, 09:42 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Ninurta" 

Quote:Its symbol was d, from the Roman denarius.

... sez Wikipedia.

But that is odd, because Wiki goes on to say the denarius equaled 10 asses  minusculebiggrin

Quote:The word dēnārius is derived from the Latin dēnī "containing ten", as its value was originally of 10 assēs

so that still leaves the question as to why a coin associated with 10 of something came to be the source of an abbreviation for a coin associated with 12.

Cheers

Thanks for that! Now I know, and it has bothered me ever since I went over the ledgers of the Dunmore's War expedition (5 ledgers in all, now stored in the Library of Virginia) and tried to puzzle out the pay rates and prices of commodities out of them!

At that time, Daniel Boone is listed as having sold buffalo hides to the militia at Fort Russell in Castle's Woods, VA (now "Castlewood" in Russell County, VA), and some of the militiamen bought their muskets after their service for personal use on the frontier at 10 to 18 shillings a musket, roughly 10 days wages for the average militiaman back then.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
No Bathroom Wall out-lets or A/C!!?? - by guohua - 11-15-2021, 12:02 AM
RE: No Bathroom Wall out-lets or A/C!!?? - by Ninurta - 11-16-2021, 06:28 PM