Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
7 to 8 foot tall with a double row of teeth ?
(11-10-2021, 01:00 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 10:30 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...I've read just about everything that John Smith and Strachey wrote from the colonization of Virginia, and am familiar with
all 4 of the accounts of the de Soto expedition, but don't recall anything about giants as the first speaker claimed.
I'll have to dig deeper.

Please recount her what you find... In fact, a wider summary of what you already know would be interesting too.
minusculethumbsup

Not much to tell, really. I don't know much about giants, just heard stories of finds in WV, Ohio, and western PA because of where I grew up. I recall hearing stories of the Azgens in Kentucky, but never knew they were giants until I asked an old Shawnee about the Azgens that were wiped out in Kentucky, and he responded with "do you mean the red-hared giants?" There are tales of red-haired mummies having been found in burial caves in Kentucky, but no mention of their stature that I can recall.

We have ancient burial caves here in this area too, from before the time the whites came, but I've never heard anything of "giants" coming out of them.

I also recall that when I was a kid in Ohio, another kid once told me that he found some skulls in a cave with heavy brow ridges like a Neanderthal, but I just chalked that up to kids' stories.

I found no mention of giants in Smith, Strachey, or DeSoto. One thing I do know is that, as @"727Sky" mentioned, when the first Europeans came to these shores, the average European was short by modern standards, around 5' 4" to 5' 6" tall, and the natives were, on average, 6 feet tall, closer to modern standards. Because of that height differential, it's plausible that Europeans viewed natives as "giants" when they first came here.

Because the Indians were so tall, I would guess that anything THEY classified as "giant" would have to have been 7 feet tall or more. My son is 6 1/2 feet tall, so he's getting into that range...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: 7 to 8 foot tall with a double row of teeth ? - by Ninurta - 11-10-2021, 05:20 PM