Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
So you missed the windows 10 upgrade
(08-15-2016, 02:51 PM)guohua Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 02:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote: BTW, China apparently feels the same way I do. Because of M$ spying through Windows, they have developed a Chinese flavor of Linux called "Red Flag Linux" that, last I heard, was mandatory on all Chinese government computers instead of Windows. It can be had in both Chinese and English.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's a goddamned shame when practically the only people on the planet still fighting for My freedom are the Chinese, Russians, and Iranians.

Lo, how the mighty have fallen!

It is you're right.
Just wish it's work with all of Ricks Special Programs.

That's what has prevented me from going all the way Linux at the moment - not all of the programs I use have Linux flavors or are compatible with Wine. Mostly the problem ones are my landscape generation programs, but as time goes on that will become moot, since now even for Windows they are only available in 64 bit, and this machine is 32 bit.

For encryption, VeraCrypt is the best thing going at the moment, shames government grade encryption, and has a Linux variant that can read files created under the Windows variant - making it truly cross-platform between Windows, Linux, and even Mac OS. For Office type applications there is Open Office which replaces Microsoft Office, and in my opinion does an even better job. It's what i used to created "the Hoax Heard Round the World" and convert it to PDF format for distribution.

For torrents, DVD/CD mastering and burning, video and audio mastering and creation, photo manipulations (think "Photoshop"), and a lot of other things, there are now native Linux applications. Several off those come already packed in Zorin OS, which as an added bonus has a Windows 7 - like interface to facilitate getting acclimated to it.

At work, almost all of the programs we use are either web-based (run through the browser) or Java, which will cross over to Linux nicely. There are a couple that are Windows based, and until they can be replaced or ported over to Linux, they are problematic. One potential solution is to run them inside a Windows virtual machine installed to the Linux operating system, but that is a stop-gap measure at best, as it presents all of the problems with security that a native Windows install does as far as Windows 8 or 10 goes.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
So you missed the windows 10 upgrade - by 727Sky - 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
RE: So you missed the windows 10 upgrade - by Ninurta - 08-15-2016, 09:36 PM