Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[France] The Police Station Attack.
(10-12-2020, 06:06 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

FWIW, I don't think they're trying to push buttons with "suburb".

The word in French is banlieu.  The situation in Paris is this --

The city center is kept somewhat orderly.  Of course, neighborhoods where the rich and well-connected live are the best protected.  What makes Paris so geographically large is that it is surrounded by banlieu's.  I don't have a crime map for all of the banlieu's but know that some of them arose as housing projects* for other-than-French ethnic groups after World War II.  And those banlieu's (suburbs) have been plagued with crime for years.

Even so, outright attacks on police stations is a relatively new development.

* Detail note.  Where these projects were built were typically sleepy towns on the outskirts of Paris before World War II.  The non-French parts of the population increased following World War I, but really took off in the 1960s when France abandoned attempts at control of Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia.

Cheers

The word suburb, is being used to describe almost every area where demonstrations or rioting is taking place. 

The image most people have of a suburb is a large area of single family homes, and gated communities.

When you use the term the "projects" or inner city housing, a whole other image comes to mind for most Americans. The media is using the former as a description of the later, with purpose.

In the French article it may have been just a translation word choice, but I believe they were following the American example. It is all about instilling fear and doubt.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
[France] The Police Station Attack. - by BIAD - 10-12-2020, 11:50 AM
RE: [France] The Police Station Attack. - by Wallfire - 10-12-2020, 03:48 PM
RE: [France] The Police Station Attack. - by Wallfire - 10-12-2020, 04:26 PM
RE: [France] The Police Station Attack. - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 10-12-2020, 08:30 PM
RE: [France] The Police Station Attack. - by BIAD - 10-13-2020, 09:20 AM