Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solving an Engineering Problem
Loved the post!

My father (who never finished high school) spent the last 20 years of his life specializing in log home roofing structures. Engineers don't like or understand a log... it is not a perfect cylinder, when it dries it warps and does strange things... So their "solution" was always metal. LOTS of metal.

Which makes a wood ceiling look like crap.

I watched him arguing with an engineer once in the middle of a $6 million dollar log home build in Aspen. The engineer, finally exhausted with arguing with this old man in bib overalls, told my Dad "I have a degree in structural engineering. What do you have?" My father replied "You have a sixty thousand dollar piece of paper on your wall that says you can use a fucking calculator. You don't actually know shit."

The engineer threatened to walk off the job if my father wasn't fired. So they canned the engineer. The home is still doing just great, 20 years later...

tinybiggrin

On a somewhat related note, I used to work for Conoco-Phillips.

We worked in an open area in a bunch of cubicles (I was doing Auto-Cad work for them) and the engineers had their rather massive offices on either side of us. One of the lead engineers stole our fan. What he didn't know was that it had a remote. So every so often we would walk by and turn it off.

He and his buddies took that poor fan apart a few times, trying to figure out what was happening.

Eventually the fan was tossed out of his office and we got it back.

tinyangry
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

Messages In This Thread
Solving an Engineering Problem - by 727Sky - 02-28-2020, 01:10 PM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by BIAD - 02-28-2020, 07:01 PM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by F2d5thCav - 06-24-2020, 07:03 AM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by kdog - 06-26-2020, 10:29 PM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by kdog - 06-26-2020, 10:22 PM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by Lumenari - 06-26-2020, 10:56 PM
RE: Solving an Engineering Problem - by kdog - 06-26-2020, 11:25 PM