Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not The Usual UFO Case And From The Eighties Too!
(07-18-2019, 08:48 AM)BIAD Wrote: With your revelation of the font design, I was about to put my head in my hands due to the mysterious communicator's lack
of imagination, when I remembered that in 1980 the public in the UK (and probably everywhere) were mainly unaware of the
internet.

I'm no expert in the history of the internet, but I would think it would be too expensive -back then, for the average person
to have internet access. That strange burbling sound, a cradle to put your landline telephone in and certainly no images.
(Edit: I took a quick look and it seems the internet -or at least the thing that was it at the time, wasn't even available to the
public.)

It just seems a damned shame that Swindon aliens hadn't told these intrepid researchers about wifi (the sister-in-law from
France pronounces it 'wiffy', by the way) and the idea that truth will be 'fluid' in the future.

I -like you, are shocked that there were such charlatans back then who ridiculed the Ufo phenomena... we're lucky that
this sort of chicanery doesn't happen today.
smallcrackingup

Indeed, back then one would have had to possess a hard-copy of that particular technical manual, which I did. It was  acquired due to my interest in nearby stars, because it had a couple of alleged star maps in it. Personal computers here in the US were in the realm of the Tandy models, which had a tiny screen that only displayed green text, without any images at all, giant disk drives for 8" floppy disks (quit that snickering! I know what it sounds like!) and a minuscule amount of RAM. Around 1986, I purchased a state of the art Tandy 1000 EX, which had a whopping 256k of RAM and sported a 360k floppy drive that used double-sided 5 1/4" floppies, no hard drive at all. It ran at a selectable speed of either 7 or 14 khz - but it could produce graphic images for games! In colors! at 640 x 480 resolution!

But the internet was still in the future for civilians.

Now, thanks to the magic of the internet, I may be able to post a copy of the font in question. If this works, it looked like this:

Well, THAT didn't work! I'll find another way...

But yes, we are indeed very fortunate that such chicanery as occurred in this case is a thing of the far distant past!

Here is yet another try at posting the font (apparently, clicking the image takes one to a larger, more comprehensive version, but for some reason it would not give me the embed codes):

.[Image: Clipboard53.jpg]
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not The Usual UFO Case And From The Eighties Too! - by Ninurta - 07-19-2019, 05:49 AM