Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Siberian Wolf's Head.
I will also note here that I've read the diary of Osborne Russell, who was a trapper in the old west, circa 1820s in the Rocky Mountains, and that in that diary he specifies that he encountered 3 species of "wolf". One of them answers to a small species of "Medicine wolf", which we call today a "coyote". The second fits the description of what we would call now a "gray wolf" in the US... but the third, ah, the third, is a larger wolf than we see today, which Russell describes as "5 foot long from the tip of his nose to the root of his tail". That sounds to me like the description of an American Dire Wolf, but the are seen no more - or at least only rarely.

We have here, where I live, an infestation of coyotes. One took up with my brother in law's dog, and would come to the house to eat with his dog. Puppies were born of that union, which are to this day feral. It has also been claimed that ALL of the coyotes east of the Mississippi River in the US are mixed with wolves, and that the mixture occurred in Minnesota where they crossed the Mississippi.

I saw, in the fall of 2015 on my way to work, a "coyote": standing in a field that looked more wolf-like that the average coyote, It had a heavier muzzle, and shorter ears, than a normal coyote, and looked a lot more wolf-like than coyote like.. and it was huge. it was, at least, "5 feet long from the tip of it's nose to the root of it's tail"...

... and I wonder.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by BIAD - 06-08-2019, 03:59 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by guohua - 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by BIAD - 06-08-2019, 05:08 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by BIAD - 06-08-2019, 05:32 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by guohua - 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by BIAD - 06-08-2019, 09:25 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by Ninurta - 06-28-2019, 10:35 PM
RE: The Siberian Wolf's Head. - by Ninurta - 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM