Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Case Of The Ageist Aliens.
(05-21-2019, 09:12 AM)Wallfire Wrote: I found some extra info on line ( hope you dont mind BIAD)

Just a few questions I have. First, at the time this happened it  was in the middle of the "troubles" so the IRA were a big danger. No MP went on patrol on there own,most used dogs, all were well armed and as far as I know the MOD and MP did not use horse mounted patrols. MPs are not known to be "friendly" at that time. Also all army patrols could go ant where they deemed fit.
This story just does not sit well with the times.

No problems with the extra stuff, I had seen information that doubted the incident.
I think to fit the narrative -and remember this account is basically the same wherever it is shown, the actual use
of military Police would be conducive story-lining-wise, considering the location.

Whether the logistics of mounted military patrols is true, is another thing! The account is basically explaining that
IRA terrorists never attack at night and ergo, there's no need for vigilance! It seems the aliens never read the
manual!

In Wikipedia it says:

Quote:Mounted Troop of the RMP
A horse detachment of the Royal Military Police remained in service after World War II. Its purpose was mainly to undertake patrol
and other policing duties in areas not suitable for vehicles, but also to act as a ceremonial unit preserving mounted RMP traditions
dating back to the nineteenth century.
The Mounted Troop was gradually reduced to about 20 personnel and finally disbanded in 1995....'

But I'd tend to believe -if the story is real, that the two mounted Policemen were just regular Police Officers using
horses for easier covering of terrain and that British perception of aloof confidence in its monitoring.
Crowd-control is usually the use for horses, but I must admit that I've seen mounted Police wander down my quiet
street here in the North-East of England.

I must also confess that I'm as guilty as others when it came to displaying the incident. I never added anything to
what is said to have occurred, but I did use alternative words rather than just cut-and-paste the article from another
site.

I did research with maps, websites that dealt with that time period and compared accounts of Mr. Burtoo's event
in order to find discrepancies in the narrative. But, like most of the internet that reports on incidents before the
internet, they all seemed the same.

As I hinted in the account, the bungalow home near the bridge and canal lock-gates was occupied and no reports of
strange lights were made, as well as no response from the residents of North Town itself.
Considering a few days before Mr. Burtoo saw what he said he saw, twenty-two IRA members received prison sentences
totalling over 4,000 years from a Belfast court, so one would guess that a military Base would be more vigilant than usual!

The 'friendliness' aspect could be... and I stress that, could be due to Alfred Burtoo being a regular sight near the river
or that the use of an official figure gives credibility to the story.

Just an optimistic opinion on the tale. Personally, I believe it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but it's a light-hearted account
that doesn't involve anal-probing!
tinyhuh
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by BIAD - 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by guohua - 05-20-2019, 05:03 PM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by BIAD - 05-20-2019, 05:32 PM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by Wallfire - 05-21-2019, 09:12 AM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by BIAD - 05-21-2019, 10:31 AM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by Wallfire - 05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by guohua - 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM
RE: The Case Of The Ageist Aliens. - by Wallfire - 05-21-2019, 12:58 PM