Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Our Fragile Earth and The Galactic Asteroid Spiral
Thanks Mystic! I have some watching to do tonight. But I do have one question:

In the first part where there are people mentioning the sun rising in different spots now (and I've heard that more than a few times at other sites as well) but what I don't get is why it isn't a global thing?

Chichen Itza - Every year at the spring and fall equinoxes the sun puts on a spectacular show for onlookers. This show is possible because it's in the same spot as when the pyramid was built.

Quote:The phenomenon that El Castillo is famous for occurs twice each year, at the spring and fall equinoxes. (In fact, the effect is viewable for a week before and after each equinox.) As the equinox sun sets, a play of light and shadow creates the appearance of a snake that gradually undulates down the stairway of the pyramid. This diamond-backed snake is composed of seven or so triangular shadows, cast by the stepped terraces of the pyramid. The sinking sun seems to give life to the sinuous shadows, which make a decidedly snaky pattern on their way down the stairs.

And then of course yesterday's spectacle: Manhattanhenge

I'm just curious about that part. If it rises and sets differently for people near the poles, it would be relative all around the globe (other than the actual light / dark time, they can keep their day's of darkness) :notlooking:

I'll be reading the rest of the post tonight, I'll add / edit my thoughts later.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our Fragile Earth and The Galactic Asteroid Spiral - by DuckforcoveR - 05-29-2016, 11:34 PM