Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The great chocolate conspiracy
(11-10-2016, 12:20 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 02:23 AM)Daitengu Wrote: Jail the theiving bastards for ripping everyone off ..... followed by public executions .....

Oh I agree. This is a disgrace. Where do these bastards get off on short-changing us in the
name of health concerns?!

I for one will not be renewing my subscription of Confectionery News.
tinyok

But I may have a Twinkie.

If you read the article though it has nothing to do with health concerns and everything to do with inflation. Prices are going up drastically and they have a choice, raise the prices or decrease the amount your buying and charge the same price. 

Went shopping last week, now admittedly it's been a while since I have purchased canned fruit as it's been summer and so fresh is the way to go. But last time I purchased a can a pears it was 98¢  for a can.. this time, I paid $1.46.. that's a 50% increase in just a few months. But, the size of the can is exactly the same. 

Now, compare that to a can of chili.. I buy canned soup and chili to have on hand for Ninurta's lunches, especially for days I can't easily plan a hot lunch for him due to not being certain when he will take his lunch .. so I keep some quick things on hand.. the price of canned chili has increased over the past year or two so at one point, instead of increasing the price again per can, they cut the size of the can in half on the brand I was getting for him.. so now, in order to serve a whole bowl of chili, instead of buying one can, I have to buy two cans if I want that brand.. as one can now only half fills a bowl.. 

But.. this is because of price increases.. not because they care how much chili my husband eats..they had a choice to keep the same size can, like the pear company did, and increase prices on it by a shocking  amount (a 50% increase is definitely shocking) or they could cut the size of the can.. so, chili company cut the size in hopes that I wouldn't stop buying their chili (it didn't work, I'm just going to start making homemade and freezing in individual servings .. I'll forgo the convenience of a can) 

But we are seeing huge inflation rates affecting food prices, and it's affecting them world wide. Back when my son was little, 25 dollars every two weeks would feed us.. now.. lol.. try making 12.50 feed three people for a week.. it won't happen not even a little.. you might get one day for that.. 

If they are predicting chocolate to go up in a sharp increase, it's because they are predicting something to cause the price increase in trade.. not because the chocolate companies care how much anyone eats.. all they want is to sell their products.

Messages In This Thread
The great chocolate conspiracy - by 1984hasarrived - 11-10-2016, 01:17 AM
RE: The great chocolate conspiracy - by Daitengu - 11-10-2016, 02:23 AM
RE: The great chocolate conspiracy - by BIAD - 11-10-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: The great chocolate conspiracy - by Grace - 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM