Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Elves Of Iceland.
On the back of Guohua's suggestion that Mr. Erwin Saunders should visit the USA, it seems Iceland
could be the hairy Elf-Hunter's first port of call.

Quote:‘No doubt’ Iceland’s elves exist: anthropologist certain the creatures live alongside regular folks.

Construction sites have been moved so as not to disturb the elves, and fishermen have refused to put
out to sea because of their warnings: here in Iceland, these creatures are a part of everyday life.

'Since the beginning of time, elves have been the stuff of legend in Iceland, but locals here will earnestly
tell you that elves appear regularly to those who know how to see them.
Construction sites have been moved so as not to disturb the elves, and fishermen have refused to put out
to sea because of their warnings: here in Iceland, these creatures are a part of everyday life.

But honestly, do they really exist?
Anthropologist Magnus Skarphedinsson has spent decades collecting witness accounts, and he’s convinced
the answer is yes.
He now passes on his knowledge to curious crowds as the headmaster of Reykjavik’s Elf School.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6104]
Anthropologist Magnus Skarphedinsson has spent decades collecting witness accounts of elf sightings.

“There is no doubt that they exist!” exclaims the stout 60-year-old as he addresses his “students”, for the most
part tourists fascinated by Icelanders’ belief in elves.

What exactly is an elf? A well-intentioned being, smaller than a person, who lives outdoors and normally does not 
talk. They are not to be confused with Iceland’s “hidden people”, who resemble humans and almost all of whom
speak Icelandic.

To convince sceptics that this is not just a myth, Skarphedinsson relays two “witness accounts”, spinning the tales
as an accomplished storyteller.

The first tells of a woman who knew a fisherman who was able to see elves who would also go out to sea to fish.
One morning in February 1921, he noticed they were not heading out to sea and he tried to convince the other
fishermen not to go out either. But the boss would not let them stay on shore.

That day, there was an unusually violent storm in the North Atlantic but the fishermen, who had heeded his warning
and stayed closed to shore, all returned home safe and sound. Seven years later, in June 1928, the elves again did
not put out to sea which was confusing because there had never been a fierce storm at sea at that time of year.
Forced to head out, they sailed waters that were calm but caught very few fish.
“The elves knew it,” the anthropologist claims.

The other “witness” is a woman in her eighties, who in 2002 ran into a young teen who claimed to know her.
Asking him where they had met, he gave her an address where she had lived 53 years ago where her daughter
claimed she had played with an invisible boy.
“But Mum, it’s Maggi!” exclaimed the daughter when her mother described the teen.
“He had aged fives times slower than a human being,” said Skarphedinsson.

Surveys suggest about half of Icelanders believe in elves.
“Most people say they heard [about them] from their grandparents when they were children,” said Michael Herdon,
a 29-year-old American tourist attending Elf School.

Iceland Magazine says ethnologists have noted it is rare for an Icelander to really truly believe in elves. But getting them
to admit it is tricky. “Most people tread lightly when entering into known elf territory,” the English-language publication
wrote in September.

That’s also the case with construction projects.
It may prompt sniggers, but respect for the elves’ habitat is a consideration every time a construction project is started in
Iceland’s magnificent countryside, which is covered with lava fields and barren, windswept lowlands.

Back in 1971, Skarphedinsson recalls how elves disrupted construction of a national highway from Reykjavik to the northeast.
The project, he says, suffered repeated unusual technical difficulties because they didn’t want a big boulder that served as
their home to be moved to make way for the new road.

“They made an agreement in the end that the elves would leave the stone for a week, and they would move the stone 15 metres.
This is probably the only country in the world whose government officially talked with elves,” Skarphedinsson says.

But Iceland is not the only country that is home to elves, he says. It’s just that Icelanders are more receptive to accounts of their
existence. “The real reason is that the Enlightenment came very late to Iceland.
“In other countries, with western scientific arrogance [and] the denial of everything that they have not discovered themselves,
they say that witnesses are subject to hallucinations.”...'
South China Morning Post:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(07-23-2019, 09:25 PM)BIAD Wrote: On the back of Guohua's suggestion that Mr. Erwin Saunders should visit the USA, it seems Iceland
could be the hairy Elf-Hunter's first port of call....
[url=https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/1944583/no-doubt-icelands-elves-exist-anthropologist-certain-creatures][/url]

So, "they" don't talk, but..

Quote:...This is probably the only country in the world whose government officially talked with elves...

hmm, I'm not so sure about this one... can Erwin speak Icelandic-Elvish do you think?
I'm still having nightmares about his Wyrm!

tinysurprised
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
I have spent enough time in nature to understand there are things moving there that are not only hard to see but they chouse when they want to be seen. After a wile you sense that they are following you but I have never came to harm nor do i wish them harm.
Are elves and other woodland creatures of this sort real ?.
I dont know but one thing im sure of is there is a lot more alive in the forests and mountains than we see.
(07-24-2019, 10:38 AM)gordi Wrote: So, "they" don't talk, but..

Quote:...This is probably the only country in the world whose government officially talked with elves...

hmm, I'm not so sure about this one... can Erwin speak Icelandic-Elvish do you think?
I'm still having nightmares about his Wyrm!

tinysurprised

I will resist the urge to suggest Mr. Saunders possibly scared the passing female dog-walker away in his
last video by showing her his Wrym and attempt to consider the idea that the bearded man can actually
speak 'Elflandic'.

By Erwin's accent it would easy to presume that he holds an academic background and his mannerisms
imply that he does comes from a affluent, well educated stock. So it's quite possible he's equipped himself
with the language of the non-speaking Elves and holds information that we're unaware of at the moment.

Judging by his age, I would say it's possible that Mr. Saunders was educated in the same environs as David
Cameron and Boris Johnson.
Both Ogres -of course.
(07-24-2019, 11:27 AM)Wallfire Wrote: I have spent enough time in nature to understand there are things moving there that are not only hard to see but
they choose when they want to be seen. After a wile you sense that they are following you but I have never came
to harm nor do i wish them harm.
Are elves and other woodland creatures of this sort real ?

I don't know but one thing im sure of is there is a lot more alive in the forests and mountains than we see.

I totally agree with you, Sir.
minusculethumbsup