Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Yet Another School Shooting in Texas
(05-27-2022, 09:04 AM)BIAD Wrote: Just as @"Michigan Swamp Buck" wrote, the school didn't adhere to the standardised manner these facilities are
required to, these days.

Quote:...

Officials say they do not yet know how many bullets the teen fired during the rampage, but one law enforcement source told CBS News
the gunman was carrying over 600 rounds of ammunition.

That's more than double what the average US combat soldier carries, the source said, adding that it appears the gunman was preparing for a massive gun battle with police. Investigators have found no indication the gunman had a history of mental illness or a criminal record.
He legally purchased two AR-style rifles in the week before the attack, after turning 18.

BBC:

I don't know what SOP is nowadays, but way back when, a standard combat load of ammo was 7 magazines full - 6 in mag pouches, and one in the rifle. When standard mags were 20 rounds early on, that was 140 rounds as standard, and when magazine standard capacity increased to 30 rounds per mag, it bumped it up to 210 rounds as standard.

That was standard for "most" soldiers. Some specialized troops, like some Special Forces, Recon, or Spetnaz or the like who could expect to be out in the wild for extended periods, often carried 20 loaded magazines, working out to the amount this dipshit was said to be carrying - 600 rounds. That's a load for an extended mission, not a standard combat patrol.

20 magazines and 600 rounds to fill them significantly adds to the cash outlay he made. Most AR magazines seem to be running around 15 dollars each - at least that's what they were last time I bought any, around 4 or 5 years ago - I bought those wholesale in lots of 10 at 109.00 per lot.

So that is around 300 dollars just for magazines, ballpark figure. I've no idea what the ammo to fill them would cost nowadays, since I've not bought any in about 5 years, and ammunition prices have significantly increased since then. And by "significantly", I'm talking about a 300% increase since then. I used to get 420 round ammo cans  (14 magazines worth, or two standard combat patrol loads) of 5.56 for anywhere from 150.00 to 175.00 back then. Don't know what it is now.

The rattle rig he was wearing to carry all that crap in wasn't cheap, either.

So he had around 3000 dollars in weapons and accessories, and maybe a further 600-800 bucks in just magazines and ammo, all bought in a few days time. I  have to ask again where an unemployed drop out in an economically depressed area gets that kind of cash to dump on an operation like this.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Yet Another School Shooting in Texas - by Schmoe1 - 05-25-2022, 06:43 AM
RE: Yet Another School Shooting in Texas - by Ninurta - 05-27-2022, 08:50 PM