Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(07-03-2022, 03:04 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: The trucking industry and supply chains are about to take another HUGE hit. You might remember a few years ago when Uber and Lyft drivers started demanding benefits and California passed AB5 in 2019.

The California Trucking Association appealed and has been fighting it since then with injunctions granted and lawsuits delaying it, until now. The US Supreme Court just denied an appeal to delay implementation.

An estimated 70k owner operator truckers in California are classified as independent contractors. They have 7 days to cease operations as independent contractors. This will affect all shipping coming out of the ports in California and food.

California trucking prepares for shake-up under independent contractor law AB5

That sucks in the short term, but may work itself out in the long term, to California's detriment. If folks realize they can no longer get, or else have to wait interminable times to get, stuff from China and other Pacific points, they will likely stop sending orders for what they can't get. China and other Pacific points will them either have to stop shipping to ports in California, or risk losing business, so, they will likely find other ports. It may take a year or two, but the supply chain will eventually sort itself out in ways like that.

Business goes where business is wanted.

Other businesses are deserting California now like rats leaving a sinking ship. We may just have to add independent trucking and cargo shipment to that list.

I won't work for a union shop on principle. Matter of fact, if I find a "union made" label on a product, I won't even buy it. So I understand the independent trucker's desire to remain free and not under the teamster's thumb. Those 70,000 independent truckers should be aware that they are needed at other points in the nation desperately. If California doesn't want them, they can always leave the dead to bury the dead in California, and move on to greener pastures where free men still live. Truckers are in short supply everywhere right now, and fuel is cheaper everywhere other than California, too, now that California has had that massive fuel tax increase that just went into effect.

It might be time to move onward to a Free State, like many other former Californians and businesses are currently doing. Leave California in the dust to finish rotting on it's own.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by Ninurta - 07-03-2022, 07:34 AM