Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(06-04-2022, 12:02 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I like getting things from local farmer’s markets. That has become increasingly popular around the area I live in. During late spring-early fall, many downtown areas, including the downtown of the town I live in, there is a farmer’s market taking place weekly. I have been getting more vegetables and that from the farmer’s market. Most of it is organic, and I think it tastes better than the produce in a grocery store. 

Plus it supports local farmers, and the money goes back into the local economy. I feel it’s a win win kind of thing. I like getting local honey and local maple syrup too, so much better than anything I can get at the grocery store.

During the 30 years or so that I was gone from this area, an Amish community moved in. There's a mountain northeast of here that looks like a giant crater - steep ridges all around it, with one narrow gap in them providing the only entrance to that valley, and they seem to have bought up all the land in that valley and are farming it.

I've thought about venturing up there and trying to strike up some trades, but I can't think of anything I have to trade that the Amish would need. They're pretty self-sufficient. I've only seen any them out of their valley twice since I've been back here.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by Ninurta - 06-07-2022, 06:23 PM