Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(05-30-2022, 12:44 PM)Bally002 Wrote: I agree with @Ninurta here that glass jars with a screw type metal lid are the best for keeping pickled eggs in.  I like to place peppers or as Ninurta mentioned, habaneros and jalapenos are fine for several months storage.

Glass jars can be sterilized in boiling water which is all the better for the long term storage in vinegar.  

Find a jar and try it.  But, make sure the concoction is warm (not hot) when you screw the lid on. (no air if possible).    Then of course place it in a cool location for 6 months. (Date it)  Open and try your eggs.  If done right people will beat a path to your door.  

Let me know in 6 months.

Kind regards,

Bally.

You can still get Mason Jars around here, and the lids and sealing rings for them, so there are still some folks here doing their own canning, probably older folks. The jars can be sterilized and reused, and the rings can, if they don't corrode up, but new lids every batch are a must.I think I've got a couple dozen unused jars out on the porch right now.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by Ninurta - 05-30-2022, 09:23 PM