Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Earth Day Special
(04-23-2022, 07:46 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I meant to post this yesterday...

His usual lengthy review continues at link above.

Stars Dan Aykroyd, Candice Bergen, James Brolin. IMDB

I took a look at the IMDB quotes of the movie you kindly linked and I was astounded by the amount of virtue-signalling
and social-class designation. Below are a couple of lines from the script.

Kelly Bundy: (Christina Applegate) "Miss Rhoades, how long can the Earth survive if we don't start doing this?"
[recycling]
Marcy D'Arcy: (Amanda Bearse) "Who knows? Maybe as little as a hundred years."
Al Bundy: (Ed O'Neill) "So what's the rush? A hundred years? We'll all be dead by then! A hundred years.
I thought this was an emergency."

Kelly Bundy, a hair-head character with promiscuous tendencies and struggles to grasp the everyday reality of growing-up.
Applegate's character is an ideal Hollywood example of what they see as innocence. Free from the taboo of sexual-restraint
and due to her gullibility, willing to ask a question she believes others more academic than herself hold the answer to.

Marcy D'Arcy, a neighbour who works in a bank. Obviously -(supposedly), this character is more informed because of her
employment environment. Hollywood likes to show that those who work in offices are smarter than those who work on
construction sites or sell shoes.
However, D'Arcy's reply to Kelly's question is in the form of a question. She doesn't know and is just adhering to the fear-tactic
used throughout the 'Earth Day Special'.

Al Bundy, a stereotypical male character who's parsimonious view on life shields him from the nuances of the proposed reality
and is there to reflect a narrative many in Hollywood like to present on men who are deemed 'defective ideal husbands'.

Hospital director: (Edward James Olmos 'Gaff' from Blade Runner) [Doc Brown shows images of polution on a computer screen]
"You want me to believe this is the future?"
*Note: 'Pollution has two 'L's'.

Dr. Emmet' Brown: (Christopher Lloyd) "No, this is the present. I've been to the future. It's not that good."

Pure 'Trust The Science' from Hollywood, even then back at the beginning of the nineties. Anyone who works in a hospital or carries
the label 'Doctor' is far-more intelligent than the average person and should always be listened to. I'll guarantee Fauci went to see this
movie!

Walter Samson: (Morgan Freeman) "The forests are the lungs of the planet, and if they stop breathing we stop."

With Mr Freeman's Grand-father's confident drawl, the character's quote will seem as verity and the simple wording indicates the facts
are in and any debate is fruitless.

Odd isn't it? The plastics and the atmosphere-damaging fumes come from industry and yet a movie is made for the public to view
and digest. Wouldn't the money spent on this all-star cast be better used on convincing the global industries to just stop manufacturing
these alleged planet-killing commodities and residue? Only the consumer is barraged with this guilt-laden narrative and the companies
that create the supposed problem are never identified or accused in public.

It's almost like the gripe about pollution -whether with one 'L' or two, is constructed in a business-like form, a constant bombardment of
words to terrify the public of something they're not the primary culprits of and are merely respondents to the advertising that tempts them
to purchase such Earth-damaging wares.

Maybe those who create and use TV commercials to gain money should be partly held accountable for the concerns these well-paid
actors and actresses are saying...? Er, but that could lead to blaming Hollywood and we can't have that now, can we?!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
The Earth Day Special - by EndtheMadnessNow - 04-23-2022, 07:46 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by BIAD - 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-24-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-24-2022, 04:09 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 01:25 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-25-2022, 01:35 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 01:58 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by hounddoghowlie - 04-25-2022, 02:16 PM
RE: The Earth Day Special - by Snarl - 04-25-2022, 02:30 PM